Pages: 1 ... 2677 2678 2679 [2680] 2681 2682 2683 ... 3981   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9084208 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #40185 on: Saturday, December 26, 2020, 11:23:27 »

What we do with Kovar is all relative to who we would bring in instead.
If we go like for like and get another young keeper in we might have just gone back to square one. Then it’s a lottery if the keeper is any better.

If we can get a decent experienced proven lower league keeper in instead it’s probably worth it. There will be some making up the numbers in Premier League squads and not playing. Foderingham being an off the top of the head example.

Although, I must clarify I’m not saying we should / could / would / can / will sign Foderingham (as I know a lot on here struggle with context) but a keeper of that type of ilk in our current team would be worth the swap with Kovar / his loan slot imo.

Of course getting one in on free and letting Fryer leave would make a lot more sense but kinda feel if we were going to go down that route we would have by now.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #40186 on: Saturday, December 26, 2020, 12:09:38 »

I would keep Kovar but I would use him more sparingly if we can get a freebie or loanee with lots more experience, I would as DV suggests not go for another young loanee though as the risks are way too high.

Kovar has got better but he still makes too many silly errors of judgement with crosses and some of his shot stopping is suspect, as said above he can make a few good saves but almost every one of these saves is what you would expect a jobbing L2 let alone L1 keeper to make, the only exception being the save last week that was flying into the top corner otherwise all his saves are run of the mill.

I would definately send Stevens back who is woeful, he has so much pace but can't cross or shoot and does not play passes with any ease, we were hugely over sold on his ability.

Personally I don't think Arsenal will recall Matt Smith as he is doing what they want, he has played every minute of every game so far and looking a good player in almost every match, if he goes to a better team then he wont get the game time he needs so it would be a backward step as he wouldn't walk into any Championship side he would be a bit part player at best.

Tyler Smith has shown glimpses and has scored a few and is a useful squad player so I would definately keep him.

I think we will recall Palmer and Twine even though Twine is enjoying his time at Newport and playing in almost every match which I doubt he will do when he returns.

I would keep Jonny Smith as he has something that Stevens doesn't, good control, his passing and shooting need work but he has suffered with injuries a bit so far, he always looks like he will produce something when he has the ball and is not played at LWB, hes far better cutting inside from the right.

A fit Pitman will still be an asset but its wether we can ever get him fit enough, we need striker backup badly, we also need midfield backup as Lyden is made of glass.

The big question is will Power have sufficient funds available to fund these new signings or will we cut our cloth even more?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #40187 on: Saturday, December 26, 2020, 12:19:52 »

I'm sure Pitman would score lots if he got fit and stayed injury free but there's nothing over the last 3 months to suggest things will change! The other problem is Hope & Grant are really league 2 players so can't be relied on either but who do you blame for signing them Wellens or lack of budget from power and that's all we could get!

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #40188 on: Saturday, December 26, 2020, 13:17:52 »

Of course getting one in on free and letting Fryer leave would make a lot more sense but kinda feel if we were going to go down that route we would have by now.
Fryer’s contract expires in a few days and I can’t see us extending it given his performances in the few games he did play so that should free up the option to bring in another keeper.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #40189 on: Saturday, December 26, 2020, 14:13:58 »

If we can get a decent experienced proven lower league keeper in instead it’s probably worth it. There will be some making up the numbers in Premier League squads and not playing. Foderingham being an off the top of the head example.

Although, I must clarify I’m not saying we should / could / would / can / will sign Foderingham (as I know a lot on here struggle with context) but a keeper of that type of ilk in our current team would be worth the swap with Kovar / his loan slot imo..

Are there any examples of Prem squad/backup players on £10k+ a week getting loaned to League One?

If you want to bring experience in on loan, you’ve got to pick up the tab on wages. If you want a freebie, you get inexperience. Is there a freebie keeper out there better than Kovar? God knows
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #40190 on: Saturday, December 26, 2020, 16:17:09 »

I would keep Kovar, M and T Smith.
My feelings re Stevens and J Smith are similar - both have lacked end product / decision making when playing, and have been unlucky with injuries. I would send both back. With several injury prone players on permanent contracts we ideally need a couple who are more robust as well as ideally bringing more quality.
I’m not sure about Palmer as we haven’t really seen him play, but logically we should call him back, and Twine also.
Also sign a keeper to replace Fryer.
The big question is affordability - whilst we clearly have a smaller squad now (Donahue and Doughty having left) presumably the budget / estimated income was based on crowds being back by now -  which at current rate of progress will be March at the earliest.
The key thing, assuming the season isn’t voided, is to avoid admin / the associated points deduction and scrape enough points on the field to stay up.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #40191 on: Saturday, December 26, 2020, 21:05:36 »

Personally I don't think Arsenal will recall Matt Smith as he is doing what they want, he has played every minute of every game so far and looking a good player in almost every match, if he goes to a better team then he wont get the game time he needs so it would be a backward step as he wouldn't walk into any Championship side he would be a bit part player at best..

I don’t get all the hype around Matt Smith personally. He’s been good but not mind blowing..

He’s more a defensive deep lying playmaker type of player but played far too much in Bruno Fernandes style position, which I don’t think he cuts the mustard at. He plays a lot of balls forward and you only ever hear about the ones that make it but more often than not, they are too easily cut out.

He’d be lost in the Championship right now, potential to get there for the future but needs some solid League One experience for the next couple of years to really develop and grow IMO, like Massimo Luongo’s experience. Would be an awesome permanent signing of the money and deal was there but getting way ahead of myself there.

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #40192 on: Saturday, December 26, 2020, 21:11:39 »

I don’t get all the hype around Matt Smith personally. He’s been good but not mind blowing..

He’s more a defensive deep lying playmaker type of player but played far too much in Bruno Fernandes style position, which I don’t think he cuts the mustard at. He plays a lot of balls forward and you only ever hear about the ones that make it but more often than not, they are too easily cut out.

He’d be lost in the Championship right now, potential to get there for the future but needs some solid League One experience for the next couple of years to really develop and grow IMO, like Massimo Luongo’s experience. Would be an awesome permanent signing of the money and deal was there but getting way ahead of myself there.

I think many will disagree with you for a young inexperienced lad he's been man of the man on numerous occasions this season and has a great future ahead of him and would be a big loss if he's called back or gets injured

So, give no fucks
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #40193 on: Sunday, December 27, 2020, 10:25:10 »

Matt Smith has been our best player by a street.

I think he would have been even better if we had another central midfielder alongside him and Grant (e.g. Lyden).

He has faded a bit this month though, the 10 day rest between games will hopefully do him good.
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #40194 on: Sunday, December 27, 2020, 13:22:35 »

Nixon saying today that palmer will return and kovar go back in jan
Flashheart

« Reply #40195 on: Sunday, December 27, 2020, 13:32:14 »

Would be a shame about Kovar, he was really coming on.

But we're not in a position to be getting the creases out of other clubs' players for them.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #40196 on: Sunday, December 27, 2020, 13:43:31 »

Would be a shame about Kovar, he was really coming on.

But we're not in a position to be getting the creases out of other clubs' players for them.
Shame in so much as he is a known quantity and is showing signs of improvement, but surely, there are dozens of similar standard keepers around that could do a job for the same money? (I don't know how much he is paid or who he is paid by either)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #40197 on: Sunday, December 27, 2020, 14:02:10 »

Nixon saying today that palmer will return and kovar go back in jan
If Kovar going back is indeed true then its because Shez has a new keeper lined up and he has told Man Utd that Kovar won't be first choice when the new keeper arrives and Man Utd want Kovar to get more game time.

Not a massive loss even if he is starting to improve slightly in every game, he is now getting to a level he probably should have been at when he arrived.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #40198 on: Sunday, December 27, 2020, 14:09:14 »

If Kovar going back is indeed true then its because Shez has a new keeper lined up and he has told Man Utd that Kovar won't be first choice when the new keeper arrives and Man Utd want Kovar to get more game time.

Not a massive loss even if he is starting to improve slightly in every game, he is now getting to a level he probably should have been at when he arrived.
Assuming he hasn't decided to take a punt on Fryer stepping up of course.....
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #40199 on: Sunday, December 27, 2020, 14:10:37 »

Has Nixon actually said Kovar's going back? All I can see is him saying some loanees will go back and people speculating Kovar in the replies.
Pages: 1 ... 2677 2678 2679 [2680] 2681 2682 2683 ... 3981   Go Up
Print
Jump to: