Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 53   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: luke mccormick  (Read 122063 times)
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 08:13:53 »

This is going to get to a point where if he does not come here wray will walk.This is slowly destroying all the last years good work,good intentions meant or not

Totally agree with this.  If I'm honest, I'm not sure this is going to blow over as we hoped.  It's drawn too much media attention and far too many people have poked their nose in with their views.

Even if Mccormick was to pull out himself and end the issue, Wray could still quit over it.  What happens if he does quit, will Mccormick still come here?  I would guess not rendering the whole situation even more pointless.

'm becoming very concerned.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 08:27:20 »

This is going to get to a point where if he does not come here wray will walk.This is slowly destroying all the last years good work,good intentions meant or not

Sad but true.

Not sure what he expcted though.

There are 8000 town fans, and an issue like this is bound to harvest the full set of opinions.

I fully believe these opinions would be replicated anywhere in the country. So my opinion is if Wray is disappointed we don't all share his views then I think he has not only missread Swindon fans, but society in general.

Fwiw I can stomach the situation as proposed with reservations. I don't want to expand on that for obvious. Reasons
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 08:56:18 »

Jeremy Wray has been brilliant for this club....many fans share his views many dont.

I feel there are many Goalkeepers on the scraphead as good as him if not better.... ironically one has just left us who could have been an ideal number two for another year or so.

This keeper is a steady keeper with a decent pedigree but in my opinion there are keepers out there as good as or better that the club could have gone after.

Anyhow i thought it was Paolo who signs the players he wants so Jeremy Wrays personal feelings should have no bearing on this matter really.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 08:59:46 »

Anyhow i thought it was Paolo who signs the players he wants so Jeremy Wrays personal feelings should have no bearing on this matter really.

This is why I can contently believe that this arrangement was more about rehabilitation than being a member of the playing staff. Wray would certainly have the final say in that respect.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 09:03:44 »

It's the fucking pointlessness of the whole saga that gets me.  This should never have become our problem in the first place.  Makes you want to pull your hair out.

As I've said before - the best way out now would be for McCormick himself to voluntarily withdraw from the club.  He must be able to see that this is going nowhere.  Then the issue simply goes away...and Jeremy Wray can get on with the task of taking the club forward.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #590 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 09:54:05 »

If everyone shared that view McCormick and others would never be integrated back into society. We'd have more re-offenders with less being contributed to society.

I committed a drink driving offence nearly 5 years ago. It was stupid of me and I was punished. Although I didn't crash my car or cause harm to anyone I potentially could have done. Some people said I should have been banned from driving for life. Let me tell you that the ban I got was punishment enough and I also attended a driving & alcohol awareness course which was worth my attendance, though I really can't believe the DSA doesn't include a whole section of driving theory on alcohol. They do for speed and have even started adding in some basic safety checks into the practical test. Why not alcohol/perils of drink driving?

Due to being able to get on with my life and career, the tax, national insurance and student loan contributions made each month due to my earnings are 2.5 times that of 5 years ago. If I had not been lucky enough to live in our society this wouldn't be the case.

If you never looked to rehabilitate anyone and let the public decide the length of sentences then you'd probably still be locked up for pinching a packet of sweets from the shop when you were 8 years old. It's human nature to let emotions rule and somewhere one person will be more upset by an offence than another. These people often scream loudest.

I will say however, that I feel McCormick's sentence was lenient and I'm in no way stating that the things above are as bad as McCormick's offence. But that part is over with which is what Wray is trying to explain and that's not the club's issue.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:08:55 »

It's the fucking pointlessness of the whole saga that gets me.  This should never have become our problem in the first place.  Makes you want to pull your hair out.

As I've said before - the best way out now would be for McCormick himself to voluntarily withdraw from the club.  He must be able to see that this is going nowhere.  Then the issue simply goes away...and Jeremy Wray can get on with the task of taking the club forward.

But it is not pointless. Potentially damaging and problematic - yes, because of the extreme emotions involved and the inability of people to comprehend the whole picture. We can't all shy away from problematic situations when they arise.

At least STFC / Wray has the balls to confront a very difficult situation, and one which just goes to show how society cannot seem to cope with the question of the rehabilitation of convicted criminals back into society.

Wishing that tough situations simply go away isn't how life is. McCormick and other offenders still exist post-custody and society has to deal with them in a realistic way. Hopefully in a way that is beneficial to as many people as possible.

Wray should stay true to his beliefs, not quit, and if crowds fall to 4,000 next season, so be it. What he shouldn't do is pander to the ill-informed, those who don't want to listen to his reasons, and those who shout the loudest.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:09:07 »

I never said he should not be rehabilitated.  But there are many, many better places for that rehabilitation to take place than a (relatively) high profile football club that is very much under the media spotlight...as we all know.

McCormick was a footballer prior to the incident in which he killed the two boys.  But just as the family have had to accept changes to their lives, I think it is entirely reasonable for McCormick to expect to make some changes to his.  He should not automatically expect to resume his football career immediately on his release...and we, as a club, have no obligation to provide a means for him to do so.  Just my view.
Arnold.J.Rimmer

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:10:53 »

It's the fucking pointlessness of the whole saga that gets me.  This should never have become our problem in the first place.  Makes you want to pull your hair out.

As I've said before - the best way out now would be for McCormick himself to voluntarily withdraw from the club.  He must be able to see that this is going nowhere.  Then the issue simply goes away...and Jeremy Wray can get on with the task of taking the club forward.

Or for Di canio to say he doesn't think he's good enough for our squad
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:14:11 »

Wray should stay true to his beliefs, not quit, and if crowds fall to 4,000 next season, so be it. What he shouldn't do is pander to the ill-informed, those who don't want to listen to his reasons, and those who shout the loudest.

If he did so, he would not be acting in the best interests of the club, which is his job.  We're a football club, not an arm of the social services.  And as for 'pandering to the ill-informed', rather arrogant, wouldn't you say, to cast those who disagree with your personal view - many, for very well thought out reasons - as 'ill informed'?  There is no right and wrong here - just a lot of differing opinions.  That's why we now have a divided fanbase.
Flashheart

« Reply #595 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:23:56 »

Ardiles there are many, many ill-informed people out there.

Jezza said repeatedly last night that we are not signing the guy, but the callers completely ignored the real issue and continued with their rage against us signing him.
im

If they want to disagree with the issue about us aiding in his rehabilitation then so be it, but how the fuck should he be expected to listen to people that are unwilling or unable to consider the real issue?

Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:28:16 »

I never said he should not be rehabilitated.  But there are many, many better places for that rehabilitation to take place than a (relatively) high profile football club that is very much under the media spotlight...as we all know.

McCormick was a footballer prior to the incident in which he killed the two boys.  But just as the family have had to accept changes to their lives, I think it is entirely reasonable for McCormick to expect to make some changes to his.  He should not automatically expect to resume his football career immediately on his release...and we, as a club, have no obligation to provide a means for him to do so.  Just my view.

I been watching this thread with interest as it kind of effects me because my wife lost her mother to a drunk driver,I 100% agree with the post above about him being at a high profile club but I do believe that the bloke needs to get back into society and work again but not at something he loves doing which is playing.I also agree that his jail term was way to short as he was a grown adult and knew about drinking and driving and what harm it can do.

People will have different opinions on this but would soon change their mind had it happened to one of their family.You can always forgive but never forget.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:37:00 »

If he did so, he would not be acting in the best interests of the club, which is his job.  We're a football club, not an arm of the social services.  And as for 'pandering to the ill-informed', rather arrogant, wouldn't you say, to cast those who disagree with your personal view - many, for very well thought out reasons - as 'ill informed'?  There is no right and wrong here - just a lot of differing opinions.  That's why we now have a divided fanbase.

I believe he is acting in the best interests of the club by reaffirming its position as part of the community in which it is based, and taking on community responsibilities. LM is a footballer, his union and his profession are taking responsibility in dealing with him as an individual and, hopefully, helping society in general. I think it is the best place for him, rather than dumping him elsewhere.

I did not intend to appear arrogant, and I apologise if this is how it read. Some of the media responses to this and individual members of the public's responses to the situation have been ill informed. For example, STFC is not signing LM.

I do think there are rights and wrongs here, especially when factual errors have been made. However, I whole-heartedely agree with you that there are a lot of differing opinions, and rightly so - society is never going to agree on matters such as sentence tarifs, rehabilitation etc.

Fanbases will always be divided about something, be it the value of a certain player, whether a fascist should be appointed as manager, etc etc. I think it is good that a topic such as this can be discussed to this extent and with a huge level of honesty and openness.

adje

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:37:54 »

If anyone else is considering shredding their season ticket-Ill give you a tenner for it.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DRS

« Reply #599 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:38:55 »

Hope  you dont mind me asking.What is your wifes view
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 53   Go Up
Print
Jump to: