Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Top 10 Town Players  (Read 8566 times)
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 10:08:10 »

I used to love Ray McHale and Kammy crunching into the tackles, good players too.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 10:40:25 »

I can't remember much about Bobby Barnes apart from getting sent off in error for the 2 finger salute and the fact that he wore Quaser Boots.

Was he good then ?

Typical flair player, brilliant sometimes, crap now and again, but always kept the oppo defence on edge. Just we hadnt really had one like him before in my time anyway.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:03:38 »

Really hard because as others have said there have actually been a lot, particularly years back - but then questions of who were actually 'best' has to reflect the level they were playing at.  Sir Don would be on all the oldies list, including me, but he wasn't a huge success when he went to the 1st Div.

So I would go with Downsborough, Foderingham (for potential), Rod Thomas, Burrows, Calderwood, Bodin, Moncur, Hoddle, Walters (and Simpson nearly gets in there), Fjortoft, White, Rogers....oh dear thats 12.....
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:38:54 »

Anyone think Nathan Thompson could become a bit of a Town legend? Clearly he is young and raw but is slowly turning into a composed, hard tackling Right Back.

That's if we don't sell him on the cheap in summer.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:39:35 »

I can't remember much about Bobby Barnes apart from getting sent off in error for the 2 finger salute and the fact that he wore Quaser Boots.

Was he good then ?
He also got sent playing for Aldershot against Town when one of the players (can't remember who it was though) kicked the ball in his face and he went berserk.

I seem to recall there was a bit of animosity between him and Steve White but I may be mistaken.

Exciting player to watch though.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:46:15 »

Anyone think Nathan Thompson could become a bit of a Town legend? Clearly he is young and raw but is slowly turning into a composed, hard tackling Right Back.

Absolutely.  Hugely impressed with him at such a young age Id put his as one of the best full backs Iveseen in this league and hes only going to get better.  If we get 5 years out of him Ill be very surprised as I could see him being poached and progressing very quickly.

Never knowingly overstated.
bobby barnes jink

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:48:56 »

The great ones are the players you watch and think they're too good for us whilst constantly worrying that some bastard will buy them. I used to love watching Alan Mac go about his business. Absolute class. When I read in the paper that Saints had bought him I was absolutely gutted. And Hoddle was a pleasure to watch. To a lesser extent players like Cuervo and Lorenzo were so sweet on the ball.

Amongst all the plodders and hackers and hoofers I've watched with pride at Swindon it's those sort of flare players that help sustain the romance between us and our club.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:58:46 »

Has the attributes to make it, and could easily be in the Premier League in a couple of years time.
In the same mould of full back as Evra or Ashley Cole. Small, but strong, quick and likes to bomb forward.

Would be surprised if he isn't snapped up in the next 12 months.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 12:03:02 »

Would be surprised if he isn't snapped up in the next 12 months.

I think this is why a lot of the top 10s have been from years ago when players stayed at clubs for more than a couple of seasons and had a chance to prove themselves.

This is no longer the case as players move so readily - even Fjortoft was with us longer than Austin.
since 75

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 12:14:37 »

Ian Woan,great on the ball and could pick a pass.Was maybe past his best when with us but still had that class.
GoSWINDON
Making the best out of the little I have.

going for a poo see you in two

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 12:26:27 »

Hard to pin it down to one player as best , but for total commitment i will go for ooh Shaun Taylor , obviously not the best technically but made up for that with 100% effort  . ( Hoddle probably being the best )

If I Don't See You Through  Week, I'll See You Through Window
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 13:03:30 »

I understand this is probably more favorite players you have seen in the flesh rather than an all time best but it surprises me how many people pick Paul Bodin in their all time XIs when one of the clubs greatest ever legends who holds a distinct record was a left back (John Trollope). Likewise, it's pretty evident to me from old footage that Fraser Digby was not our greatest ever goalkeeper.

My Top 10 favourites I have seen (which is also very different to who I think are the best 10 players to play for the club since I have been watching)

Mark Walters
Shaun Taylor
Colin Calderwood
Jan Aage Fjortoft
Wayne Allison
Sam Parkin
Simon Cox
Lee Peacock
Iffy Onoura
Micky Hazard
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 13:11:56 »

Always thought Kevin Horlock was class and Ty Gooden was always a favourite of mine.

Can't look much beyond Hoddle and Shaun 'in control' Taylor.
lambourn red

« Reply #43 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 13:57:42 »

Fraser Digby
David Kerslake
Shaun Taylor
Colin Calderwood
Paul Bodin
Mark Walters
Mickey Hazard
John Moncur
Nicky Summerbee
Duncan Shearer
Jan Age Fjortoft

Subs: Simon Cox, Charlie Austin, Ian Culverhouse, Wes Foderigham, Glenn Hoddle, Chris Kamara, Andy Rowlands
farmer61

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 14:08:49 »

Shaun Taylor......!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: