Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: John Moncur  (Read 8655 times)
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 20:11:50 »

Talking about former midfielders; Ty Gooden just sold his fishing paradise in France. Wonder what he's up to now?

Now there's a name from the past  Beers

Does anyone remember Edwin Murray? He was on that Channel 4 documentary (anyone got it?) which followed us on our promotion season 92/93. Trying to break into the first team (Sean Close was another one). Think Edwin had some kind of twitch going on.
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 20:13:33 »

Did Ty Gooden really have a fishing venture in France?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 20:26:37 »

I do recall him being interviewed and he said he got into a scrape with a mouthy teenager after a night out early in his career. He smacked him one and heard a terrifying crunch as the lads skull hit the pavement. At that moment, thinking he'd killed the lad, he swore to the Heavens that he'd devote himself to God for the rest of his life if the chap survived, which he did. Don't know if he's a lapsed Christian like Jonathan Edwards though.

Didnt know Jon Edwards had "lapsed"-it wasn't in the Church Times.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 20:29:11 »

Religious beliefsHe initially refused to compete on Sundays due to his devout Christian beliefs, a decision which cost him a chance to compete in the 1991 World Championships. However in 1993, after much deliberation and discussion with his father (a vicar), he changed his mind, deciding that God gave him his talent in order for him to compete in athletics.

On 2 February 2007 it was widely reported that Edwards had lost his faith in God despite him once saying "My relationship with Jesus and God is fundamental to everything I do. I have made a commitment and dedication in that relationship to serve God in every area of my life."[4]

The Daily Mail described Edwards as a "man deeply troubled by the collapse of his Christian faith" but revealed that a friend said "[Edwards] has a deep, theological comprehension of the Bible, making his spiritual meltdown even more unlikely ... They still go to church as a family"[9][10] The Daily Mail article also quoted Edwards as saying that he is going through a difficult period in his life, one that is deeply personal to him and his family such that he does not wish to comment on.[9]

Edwards presented episodes of the Christian praise show Songs of Praise until 2007.

In an interview in The Times on 27 June 2007,[11] Edwards said: "If there is no God, does that mean that life has no purpose? Does it mean that personal existence ends at death? They are thoughts that do my head in. One thing that I can say, however, is that even if I am unable to discover some fundamental purpose to life, this will not give me a reason to return to Christianity. Just because something is unpalatable does not mean that it is not true." Furthermore, in the interview with The Times he also stated "When you think about it rationally, it does seem incredibly improbable that there is a God." In the same interview he also said "I feel internally happier than at any time of my life." Edwards confirmed his rejection of Christianity in an interview on BBC Radio 5 Live on 29 July 2007.[
adje

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 20:31:04 »

Well well,thanks for that

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 20:32:10 »

My pleasure, now can anyone garnish m with details re: Edwin Murray
NorwayRed
Not quite Hitler

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 20:45:50 »

Did Ty Gooden really have a fishing venture in France?

Yes, he used to own this place. He's selling it now to probably do other things.

http://www.loirefrance.com/

And Edwin Murray, wow! I remember he even scored a GOAL for us! A crazy goal even, if I remember correctly... Those were the days!

Ran the fanclub: Swindon Town Supporters Club of Norway between 1992 and 1998. Now runs the non-commercial online website for Norwegian Swindon-fans.

Twitter: duncanshearer
Bumblebee

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 23:41:54 »

Yes, he used to own this place. He's selling it now to probably do other things.

http://www.loirefrance.com/

Nice...quotes from Steve Guppy saying how nice it is too!!

Talking of old players, I see that Micky Hazard has brushed off his boots and is playing again for Dunton Green FC in the Sevenoaks and District League!

Also - random, but I never realised that our play off final in 1993 is No. 94 in Eurosports top 100 games of all time!! http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27112009/58/top-100-complete-list.html
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 23:50:16 »

Nice...quotes from Steve Guppy saying how nice it is too!!

Talking of old players, I see that Micky Hazard has brushed off his boots and is playing again for Dunton Green FC in the Sevenoaks and District League!

Also - random, but I never realised that our play off final in 1993 is No. 94 in Eurosports top 100 games of all time!! http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27112009/58/top-100-complete-list.html

Fair do's to Eurosport
The Artist Billy Paynter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:01:30 »

Now there's a name from the past  Beers

Does anyone remember Edwin Murray? He was on that Channel 4 documentary (anyone got it?) which followed us on our promotion season 92/93. Trying to break into the first team (Sean Close was another one). Think Edwin had some kind of twitch going on.

would love to see that doc again, if its the same one, where Trollope tears Pitman a new one.. Cheesy
Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:22:09 »

Now there's a name from the past  Beers

I've got that documentary if you want a copy.

Eddie Murray works for a recruitment agency in Swindon.
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:44:46 »

I've got that documentary if you want a copy.

Eddie Murray works for a recruitment agency in Swindon.

I have a copy on VHS casette but it's at my dads behind a myriad of other items in his cavernous shed. Could I possibly get a copy off you? It was a major coup for the journalist following activity behind the scenes at the County Ground  that we had such a dramatic time of things that season! If we'd been mid-table also-rans I doubt the docu would ever have aired on Channel 4.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 31, 2011, 21:06:09 by shady » Logged
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 20:58:08 »

Great player was John Moncur, one of my favourites!!  Thought he was a cabbie now but that might be Micky Hazzard

Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 11:00:25 »

I have a copy on VHS casette but it's at my dads behind a myriad of other items in his cavernous shed. Could I possibly get a copy off you? It was a major coup for the journalist following activity behind the scenes at the County Ground  that we had such a dramatic time of things that season! If we'd been mid-table also-rans I doubt the docu would ever have aired on Channel 4.
Yep, sure.  PM your address and I'll send one out, or can meet at the game on Sat?
DiscoDazR

http://twitter.com/DiscoDazR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 11:25:26 »

I think Ty Gooden is also Reading's Chief Scout for a certain European region.

As for John Moncur....I think I was told not too long ago that he runs / owns a an outdoor footy centre company in London which is similar, but not, like the following; http://www.goalsfootball.co.uk/Index.aspx

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: