Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bingo hall to become music venue  (Read 11398 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 18:25:15 »

great location for it.

You talk about it being small? But its got to be twice the size of Bristol Carling Academy, and 4 times the size of the Oxford one?

That's exactly what I thought until in the article the estimate of capacity is 1,000-1,200, which would be around the size of the largest room in the Oxford Academy and a bit smaller than Bristol Academy.

Still it's good news, I don't know why some people are being so miserable.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 19:22:08 »

Because it's something new and something new means the people od Swindon have to find the most stupid thing they can think of to comlain about it.

I think it's a great idea and a must have for Swindon. It will run along the lines of The Academy venues probably attracting signed acts that are not quite big enough to play The Oasis/Bigger venues. Let's hope SBC don't fuck this one up.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 19:25:24 »

I think sometimes we expect a bit too much from Swindon. It's really not got much going for it at the moment in the way of rejuvination and buzz. Anything half decent is good.

The new library isn't sensational but compared to the old one it is. I think a bit of perspective is needed.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 19:47:06 »

Because it's something new and something new means the people od Swindon have to find the most stupid thing they can think of to comlain about it.

I think it's a great idea and a must have for Swindon. It will run along the lines of The Academy venues probably attracting signed acts that are not quite big enough to play The Oasis/Bigger venues. Let's hope SBC don't fuck this one up.

Good points Onion,lets be honest with the crap venues we have here weve got some good bands here the last year...would be great to have a decent venue and attract some more.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 20:00:36 »

Oasis now has a capacity of 3000 for a standing concert and as a result is getting the bigger names in (even if the acoustics leave a bit to be desired). The next step up in capacity for these sort of venues jumps up to 7000+ in places like the NIA in Brum.
Swindon would do very well to have an 'academy' that can at least match or better others like Scumford. The question as often is the case is can the public in Swindon support this sort of venue without having to pander to middle of the road entertainment ?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 20:05:45 »

Good points Onion,lets be honest with the crap venues we have here weve got some good bands here the last year...would be great to have a decent venue and attract some more.

I wouldn't say we had crap venues. We just don't have a venue big enough (excluding the Oasis) to host regular gigs with some decent up and coming signed acts.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 20:08:52 »

The 12 Bar has attracted some decent bands but not on a regular basis because it's capacity is only 350

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 20:42:13 »

having thought about it a bit,i think a venue like this would be good.there is deffo a need for a place like this in swinetown.that said, i reckon a purpose built major venue would do wonders for the town.scrap the fucking canal idea and get that here instead
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 20:48:58 »

The 12 Bar has attracted some decent bands but not on a regular basis because it's capacity is only 350

Saw The Damned in there.......good fun.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 20:55:57 »

I think is exactly the right size for a Swindon Gig venue and in a perfect location.

/
W56196272
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 20:56:41 »

its what swindon has needed for 30+ years. brilliant news. lets hope you get a good promoter in there.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 21:08:29 »

another plus for the town.madness are playing at the oasis in december.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 21:09:28 »

Just saw that in the Gig thread,ill be there Cool

/
W56196272
Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 21:10:16 »

It will be a pretty useful place as there is an upstair's balcony kind of thing,enough room to have a bar and sell food etc

I had many good night's in the old mecca and won a fair bit of cash in the past,shame it had to close down,but im glad to see it's going be put to good use rather than bulldozed.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 21:12:04 »

having thought about it a bit,i think a venue like this would be good.there is deffo a need for a place like this in swinetown.that said, i reckon a purpose built major venue would do wonders for the town.scrap the fucking canal idea and get that here instead

Or the town could go really crazy and do both.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: