Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Obscure XI  (Read 35709 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 15:31:15 »

Paul Ince should be in another thread, of players who were good before they reached us, alongside Neil Ruddock, Dave Mackay, David Peach… suggestions?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 15:31:46 »

Mark Robertson, the Aussie fella from the early King era.  On the same note, Marko Tuomela.  Oh, and I remember one season in the same era where we played James Williams as a sweeper for the first few games of the season, and he looked great.  In reality - he wasn't.

Despite having a season ticket at the time, and usually remembering all players (I'm a geek) I have no memory of Shayne Bradley.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 15:34:13 »

Kaid Mohammed
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 15:43:39 »

Paul Ince should be in another thread, of players who were good before they reached us, alongside Neil Ruddock, Dave Mackay, David Peach… suggestions?

Nalis, Cureton, Thorpe (kinda), Harley, Navarro, Prutton...

Think I'm turning this into just 'massively overrated' though!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 15:46:11 »

Mark Robertson, the Aussie fella from the early King era.  On the same note, Marko Tuomela.  Oh, and I remember one season in the same era where we played James Williams as a sweeper for the first few games of the season, and he looked great.  In reality - he wasn't.

Despite having a season ticket at the time, and usually remembering all players (I'm a geek) I have no memory of Shayne Bradley.

Not sure how you think Marko Tuomela is obscure, as Town's only Finnish international.

Now you're talking with Shayne Bradley....but I remember him from a game v Ipswich in 99, when we lost 0-6 at the CG, still the biggest defeat I've seen at the CG, eclipsing the 1-6 v Newcastle in 64.  Craig Taylor got sent off after about 5 mins, which didn't help...Des Linton was another from that side, who might be worth a mention.

Despite all the crapshite we've had down the years, I can't recall a season when we've been a week away from season's start with such a thin looking squad.
kerry red

« Reply #50 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 15:51:19 »

As we are only looking for loan players, the window for them is forever open.

So, in some ways, I think Cooper/Power are doing the right thing and not bringing in players they don't really want just to bolster the squad.

I'm sure we'll get there in the end
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #51 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 16:20:06 »

GK  Craig Farr
RB Paul Petersen
CH Jimmy Giles
CH Mick Blick
LB Rod Desmeules
MF Alan Sproates
MF Dave Harper
MF Barry Lowes
MF Ian Farr
CF David Down
CF Dennis Peapell

Some obscure shite there for sure, but Giler? Hard as nails, great in the air, pity he couldn't kick a ball.

And I see poor old Russell Lewis crops up again - for my money an honest, hard-working pro, did all the ugly stuff whilst surrounded by fannying no-hopers trying to be George Best on the mud heaps of the day. How about these tho'?

David Dangerfield, local lad played a few games
Ray Clarke ex-Spurs
Gerry O'Brien
Geoff Chalklin
The Gilligans
? Broome - centre half?
Phil Harris - did he ever play a game?
Mike O'Hara, tall keeper, a forgotten Bert's Babe
Dave Round, another stopper, in the days we had stoppers
David Caldwell, played a few in the early '80s 4th Div days.

So many forgotten names, all had their 5 mins of fame (sort of).
kerry red

« Reply #52 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 16:29:24 »

Tommy Jenkins, who I unfortunately remember.

But who the hell was Howard Goddard?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 16:32:44 »

Some obscure shite there for sure, but Giler? Hard as nails, great in the air, pity he couldn't kick a ball.

And I see poor old Russell Lewis crops up again - for my money an honest, hard-working pro, did all the ugly stuff whilst surrounded by fannying no-hopers trying to be George Best on the mud heaps of the day. How about these tho'?

Ray Clarke ex-Spurs
Gerry O'Brien
Geoff Chalklin
The Gilligans
? Broome - centre half?

Agree. Russell Lewis had a bit of cult status, limited but willing. I never saw David Round outside team photos. Did he ever get a game? Unusually swindon-town-fc doesn't have a record for him.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 16:49:19 »

Ray Clarke ex-Spurs
Gerry O'Brien
Geoff Chalklin
The Gilligans
? Broome - centre half?

Jimmy Giles had a pretty decent career after leaving us...really good cricketer as well, rapid bowler, who I faced unsuccessfully.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 16:51:19 »

Agree. Russell Lewis had a bit of cult status, limited but willing. I never saw David Round outside team photos. Did he ever get a game? Unusually swindon-town-fc doesn't have a record for him.

I was going to ask the same question, one of those youth team/reserve players who got good write-ups so the assumption was they'd step up....Jamie Reynolds being a classic of the type.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 17:12:06 »

Who was Darren Hall who was in the 92/93 squad photo? Did he ever play?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 17:12:55 »

Nalis, Cureton, Thorpe (kinda), Harley, Navarro, Prutton...

Think I'm turning this into just 'massively overrated' though!

Yeah, there's a whole separate thread potential in 'players who seemed like they'd be great signings but really weren't'

I was very excited with the prospect of Gareth Whalley running our midfield like a league One Xavi.

Also Wilf I think you're talking about Marion Broomes, although the fact that I remember him and I was about 7 that season suggests he might not be eligible.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 17:16:18 »

Tommy Jenkins, who I unfortunately remember.

But who the hell was Howard Goddard?

I remember him, blonde striker ( allegedly)  Either came from or went to Newport after a few games with no Impact.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 17:16:33 »

Who was Darren Hall who was in the 92/93 squad photo? Did he ever play?

swindon-town-fc says no. No idea who he was.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: