Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Enough is enough  (Read 2188 times)
TalkTalk

« on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 07:49:09 »

Cracking Adver Sportsdesk comment today.

Well done Andy Cryer.

ENOUGH is enough.

The time for Town's new owners/prospective new owners (delete as applicable), be they American/Portuguese (again, delete as applicable) to cast off the veil of secrecy and lack of information that hangs over the club is way overdue.

It's one thing to have the likeable and approachable Jim Little as frontman for a mystery group' of investors, complete with smiles and vague pledges to take the club forward.

But when news emerges from Portugal, for so long the centre of attention as far as this takeover' was concerned, of a possible link-up - confirmed by themselves and Little - between football agents and the club, it just lays bare the folly of Town's unwillingness to provide answers in the wake of this takeover.

Club officials were quick to pounce on our back page yesterday, but yet another pointless club statement strongly denying' our story (we never said they were taking over the club, only that they were looking at an involvement chaps!) added nothing.

Yet minutes after that statement landed, a call to chairman-designate Little added some more flesh to yesterday's news.

How is it that Little, thousands of miles away in America, felt able to add a more informative slant to our story (see above), while back here the club succeeded in saying nothing and pouring scorn?

Is it by chance that these agents are on the scene after this takeover, or is it because of it?

Why don't the club grasp the nettle, make themselves open and accountable and give their followers the answers they deserve?

The arrival of triallists from foreign climes to play in reserve matches plus persistent and ever-more-worrying rumours about the future of manager Paul Sturrock means what should be a positive news story' is rapidly descending into a farce.

It's easy to forget that, on the pitch, Sturrock is continuing to work wonders, fashioning a team that is more than holding its own in League One.

Supporters, with whom the manager has struck up a rapport in his nine months in the job, will not tolerate seeing him undermined by events behind the scenes.

The club, predictably, have been quick to dismiss any speculation' circulating, frequently aiming a few barbs in our direction for reporting such matters.

Yet their public utterances are at odds with what is being said behind the scenes and, in the absence of cold, hard, public facts from themselves, what on earth do they expect?

Town's powers-at-be know that they can render such conjecture irrelevant at a stroke - by providing frank and open answers to dozens of questions surrounding the current situation.

Immediately.

What is the problem? Isn't this supposed to be the moment that Town's long-term future is secured - something everyone would rejoice at?

If so, the new owners will be welcomed with open arms, by both fans and the media.

That Town have ignored many of the legitimate concerns and queries being raised repeatedly - including by the Advertiser - is a situation that is untenable and shows a total lack of respect for those they insist are the most important - the fans.

8:46am today

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/display.var.1648814.0.sportsdesk_comment.php
WorcesterRed

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 08:06:07 »

Quote from: "TalkTalk"
Cracking Adver Sportsdesk comment today.

Well done Andy Cryer.

ENOUGH is enough.

The time for Town's new owners/prospective new owners (delete as applicable), be they American/Portuguese (again, delete as applicable) to cast off the veil of secrecy and lack of information that hangs over the club is way overdue.

It's one thing to have the likeable and approachable Jim Little as frontman for a mystery group' of investors, complete with smiles and vague pledges to take the club forward.

But when news emerges from Portugal, for so long the centre of attention as far as this takeover' was concerned, of a possible link-up - confirmed by themselves and Little - between football agents and the club, it just lays bare the folly of Town's unwillingness to provide answers in the wake of this takeover.

Club officials were quick to pounce on our back page yesterday, but yet another pointless club statement strongly denying' our story (we never said they were taking over the club, only that they were looking at an involvement chaps!) added nothing.

Yet minutes after that statement landed, a call to chairman-designate Little added some more flesh to yesterday's news.

How is it that Little, thousands of miles away in America, felt able to add a more informative slant to our story (see above), while back here the club succeeded in saying nothing and pouring scorn?

Is it by chance that these agents are on the scene after this takeover, or is it because of it?

Why don't the club grasp the nettle, make themselves open and accountable and give their followers the answers they deserve?

The arrival of triallists from foreign climes to play in reserve matches plus persistent and ever-more-worrying rumours about the future of manager Paul Sturrock means what should be a positive news story' is rapidly descending into a farce.

It's easy to forget that, on the pitch, Sturrock is continuing to work wonders, fashioning a team that is more than holding its own in League One.

Supporters, with whom the manager has struck up a rapport in his nine months in the job, will not tolerate seeing him undermined by events behind the scenes.

The club, predictably, have been quick to dismiss any speculation' circulating, frequently aiming a few barbs in our direction for reporting such matters.

Yet their public utterances are at odds with what is being said behind the scenes and, in the absence of cold, hard, public facts from themselves, what on earth do they expect?

Town's powers-at-be know that they can render such conjecture irrelevant at a stroke - by providing frank and open answers to dozens of questions surrounding the current situation.

Immediately.

What is the problem? Isn't this supposed to be the moment that Town's long-term future is secured - something everyone would rejoice at?

If so, the new owners will be welcomed with open arms, by both fans and the media.

That Town have ignored many of the legitimate concerns and queries being raised repeatedly - including by the Advertiser - is a situation that is untenable and shows a total lack of respect for those they insist are the most important - the fans.

8:46am today

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/display.var.1648814.0.sportsdesk_comment.php

Perfect piece yet again, well summed up in the last paragraph.

Message to Board in case you are not getting the hint :

:fu:  :wanker:

> You walk over people like they don't exist

> You treat them like turnstile fodder

> You have no respect for your loyal fans

> You are playing with the customer loyalty that is present ONLY within football fans

> You are in this for your own personal greed

> Any other business would have gone bust years ago, such is the appalling lack of any customer-focused treatment

> You will not enlighten the fans with regards to what is happening to THEIR club

> You are an absolutely appalling Board of Directors
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 08:10:32 »

Excellent piece.  Well done Mr Cryer.
TalkTalk

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 08:12:17 »

And more...

Castro link says valuable

By Andy Cryer

JIM Little believes the involvement of football agents at Swindon Town like the Castro brothers could provide a valuable "scouting system" at Paul Sturrock's disposal.

The Town chairman-designate admits since the foreign takeover, the club have been working closer with agents from all over the world in an attempt to broaden their search for new talent.

Little insists Sturrock will still have the final say on his squad, dismissing rumours of pressure being put on the Town chief, but believes the extension to their scouting network has to be beneficial.

Best Holdings SGPS S.A, the club's mysterious new owners, have also categorically stated the Castro Brothers' only involvement with the County Ground outfit is with regard the scouting of players.

Former West Brom midfielder Jordao, a representative for the Castro Brothers, admitted on Monday they were hoping there would be some involvement with the club and Little believes any future dealings together can only be a positive step.

With the transfer window closing on Friday, Town's new man with the reins believes the larger scouting system will bring new options.

The American businessman and former Cork City owner, said: "We work with a lot of agents, including the Castro brothers, the Stellar Group and others. We talk to all of them because we want to look at who is available for Swindon Town.

"Another reason why we do it is because if you work with agents on your behalf it is like a scouting system for you.

"They can find players for you who would otherwise be out of your network and you would not see.

"It does involve a fee, which is a drawback, but the results are worth that.

"Swindon Town does not have a particular scouting system in operation and involving these agents will help that."

The presence of a host of foreign triallists at the County Ground has raised fears among the club's supporters of external pressure on team selection, but Little has reassured everyone Sturrock is still the main man.

He said: "We are trying to give Paul Sturrock all the options. We still have to sit down and ask him whether the team is good enough to win.

"I want to make clear his options because maybe we will have some visibility for players that Paul Sturrock otherwise would not see."

Best Holdings SGPS S.A released an official statement, through the club, yesterday denying any implications that the Castro Brothers have or will have any interest in the takeover of Swindon Town.

It read: "Jordao, who is a representative of the Castro brothers' agency, has introduced two players to the club on trial. That has been the only reason for any contact between the club and Castro brothers business.

"Contrary to reports, no talks have taken place with the Castro brothers and none are planned in relation to the takeover of the club.

"Best Holdings SGPS.S.A are committed to the long-term development of the club both on and off the pitch and further details of their plans will be forthcoming in due course."

Town chief Paul Sturrock insists he welcomes the widening of the net but admits he needs to be convinced about the individuals' capacity to cope with British football.

He said: "I would like to think the players coming in will be from all sorts of countries.

"My decision making has to be whether they will adapt to the British game. Whether they can handle it because I do believe it is the one country that differs from the rest of Europe.

"If someone is coming from a foreign country they have to adapt to us, there is no way anyone will be adapting to them."

8:47am today

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/display.var.1648816.0.castro_link_says_valuable.php
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 08:12:38 »

A most excellent piece there.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 08:32:21 »

Cryer is awesome - he's a proper journalist and not a yes man willing to churn the madness at the County Ground in their favour.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 08:32:33 »

http://image.compusa.com/prodimages/18/54c9e7a3-fc96-11d6-a10b-00805fbbb715.gif

Most Excellent!
WorcesterRed

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 08:40:40 »

Without any real knowledge, I can see this situation going tits up before too long.

I just have a feeling in my water that Sturrock will not be with us much longer.

Rain
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 09:00:06 »

Quote from: "TalkTalk"
And more...

Castro link says valuable

By Andy Cryer

JIM Little believes the involvement of football agents at Swindon Town like the Castro brothers could provide a valuable "scouting system" at Paul Sturrock's disposal.

The Town chairman-designate admits since the foreign takeover, the club have been working closer with agents from all over the world in an attempt to broaden their search for new talent.

Little insists Sturrock will still have the final say on his squad, dismissing rumours of pressure being put on the Town chief, but believes the extension to their scouting network has to be beneficial.

Best Holdings SGPS S.A, the club's mysterious new owners, have also categorically stated the Castro Brothers' only involvement with the County Ground outfit is with regard the scouting of players.

Former West Brom midfielder Jordao, a representative for the Castro Brothers, admitted on Monday they were hoping there would be some involvement with the club and Little believes any future dealings together can only be a positive step.

With the transfer window closing on Friday, Town's new man with the reins believes the larger scouting system will bring new options.

The American businessman and former Cork City owner, said: "We work with a lot of agents, including the Castro brothers, the Stellar Group and others. We talk to all of them because we want to look at who is available for Swindon Town.

"Another reason why we do it is because if you work with agents on your behalf it is like a scouting system for you.

"They can find players for you who would otherwise be out of your network and you would not see.

"It does involve a fee, which is a drawback, but the results are worth that.

"Swindon Town does not have a particular scouting system in operation and involving these agents will help that."

The presence of a host of foreign triallists at the County Ground has raised fears among the club's supporters of external pressure on team selection, but Little has reassured everyone Sturrock is still the main man.

He said: "We are trying to give Paul Sturrock all the options. We still have to sit down and ask him whether the team is good enough to win.

"I want to make clear his options because maybe we will have some visibility for players that Paul Sturrock otherwise would not see."

Best Holdings SGPS S.A released an official statement, through the club, yesterday denying any implications that the Castro Brothers have or will have any interest in the takeover of Swindon Town.

It read: "Jordao, who is a representative of the Castro brothers' agency, has introduced two players to the club on trial. That has been the only reason for any contact between the club and Castro brothers business.

"Contrary to reports, no talks have taken place with the Castro brothers and none are planned in relation to the takeover of the club.

"Best Holdings SGPS.S.A are committed to the long-term development of the club both on and off the pitch and further details of their plans will be forthcoming in due course."

Town chief Paul Sturrock insists he welcomes the widening of the net but admits he needs to be convinced about the individuals' capacity to cope with British football.

He said: "I would like to think the players coming in will be from all sorts of countries.

"My decision making has to be whether they will adapt to the British game. Whether they can handle it because I do believe it is the one country that differs from the rest of Europe.

"If someone is coming from a foreign country they have to adapt to us, there is no way anyone will be adapting to them."

8:47am today

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/display.var.1648816.0.castro_link_says_valuable.php

Which is all well and good, and very plausible sounding but doesn't explain Sr Castro saying in the Portuguese press that they were involved in the takeover but he couldn't say anymore about it at the moment. Is that herring or mackerel?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 09:04:17 »

Quote from: "WorcesterRed"
Without any real knowledge, I can see this situation going tits up before too long.

I just have a feeling in my water that Sturrock will not be with us much longer.

Rain

I'm not well up on all the details, but I seem to remember PS leaving Sheffield Wednesday for precisely the reason that he couldn't stand the antics of their board.  He certainly retained the allegiance of their fans.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 09:49:51 »

Quote from: "Ardiles"
Quote from: "WorcesterRed"

Rain

I'm not well up on all the details, but I seem to remember PS leaving Sheffield Wednesday for precisely the reason that he couldn't stand the antics of their board.  He certainly retained the allegiance of their fans.

Difference being he was sacked....in which case he trousered 250K for remaining contract....if they want rid it will cost them....think Sturrock will hang about for his pay off.....he is Scottish.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 12:47:30 »

Totally agree, I think if we look at the last couple of managment jobs that Sturrock has had, where he has had a falling out with the board (S'ampton, Sheff Weds) he has waitied to be sacked rather than walk away so he has got his pay off.

He will either do that here or he will line up another job first, I do not think he will walk away with out another job to go to either way.
Lumps

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 14:19:54 »

I can't think of a single club that Luggy has walked away from as a result of tension with the board.

He left Plymouth to take on a top flight club at Southampton

Was sacked form there when the Board panicked mid season and thought Harry Redknapp was a safer pair of hands

Was sacked out of the blue by the Wendies in a similar "chairmans arse getting a bit squeaky" scenario

He certainly didn't walk and was gutted to have to leave Wednesday.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 18:42:46 »

Taking this thread back to the Andy Cryer piece, I can only see one thing wrong with it, the piece should have been on the front page in the largest typeface possible!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 22:08:19 »

I can't go on, I can't go on no more no
Enough is enough
I want him out, I want him out that door now

Enough is enough
Enough is enough
That's enough
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: