Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Glovers v Town  (Read 20909 times)
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 15:39:52 »

Somewhat surprisingly, the club seems to have entered a team into a reserve/development league for the first time in several years. That would imply having enough players to actually field a team in that competition as well as the first team.

I'm taking that as a sign that a boatload of players will arrive this week.

As it stands though,  we're proper fucked.
newmarket red
, ; . ' ?

Thrives on negativity.

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 15:41:06 »

Hodgetts asked. Williams uhm'd and ah'd. Says he talks daily with Power so no one knows what those talks are about. Power is a shrewd businessman and has found diamonds before. Certainly didn't say he was expecting anything soon.

Pretty much as you were. He's on a hiding to nothing being left so bereft of players.
no other manager would put up with power and what hes doing williams must be getting pissed off surley.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 15:45:09 »

He's got a 5 year contract. Only problem for him is his reputation taking a hit - although him playing the 'Well, I did have Power as owner' card may cut some ice.

If things do go tits up I'd imagine it'd be Power who would get the heat
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 15:49:01 »

I do not want reckless spending that jeopardises the club.

Power's approach to make sure the club only spends what it can afford is fine. He treats this like a business, fair enough he is not a Swindon fan. I question what the fuck he is doing to generate income though as surely that is the only way out of this? Otherwise you keep cutting costs to match falling revenue every season. How are we getting more fans in? How are we making more match day revenue etc. The entire premise of a new ground is to add more non matchday revenue streams to aid income. He's said repeatedly he's not interested in that as he is a football man.

I dont understand how he has not learnt from previous seasons. He suggested he had and there were a couple of signings lined up as soon as the window opened. That became one and Goddard looks good in fairness. Other than that we have spent a lot of money on a GK and signed a trialist who impressed in Thomas. Surely they had more plans that that for this season? It just seems so badly organised and prepared and it does nothing either to energise the fan base or help the team move forward.

Remember as well the lack of emergency loans this season is essentially the withdrawal of the safety net that probably saved us from relegation last season! We can't afford to wait to the last day of the window, see a couple of loans collapse because there is nothing there to save us now.

I can't remember being less excited for a season for some time. As someone else has said its going to take the stars to align and us find 3/4 free gems and get lucky with 2/3 loans for us to ever get anywhere. We did that 2 years ago and screwed the final up. Each year later it seems less likely as Sherwood can't pimp out 3/4 good players to us (Luongo/Byrne/Hall). We don't know of 2/3 ex spurs players released that could do a job (Kasim/Obika). Those initial contacts seem to have run dry and we are fighting with every other club around now.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 15:51:59 »

There is no answer, really. All I can say in any sort of defence is that a lot of clubs similar to us are in the same position - Coventry being one.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 15:52:16 »

He's got a 5 year contract. Only problem for him is his reputation taking a hit - although him playing the 'Well, I did have Power as owner' card may cut some ice.

If things do go tits up I'd imagine it'd be Power who would get the heat

We have another bloke in as director of football though don't we? Not sure what the hell he does but he was supposed to be running shit as Power can't be in the country all the time.

The only criticism of Williams is does he apply enough pressure to Power about what is needed or is he too positive about the youngsters and that leave every one with the impression we can do without.
newmarket red
, ; . ' ?

Thrives on negativity.

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 16:05:45 »

One thing annoys me power said on the bbc radio chat show with ian longdon he spoke to a town fan and he was asked about having a derby game again ,and the fan was worried about oxford and will we have a good enough team to match them as we havent beaten them in a while he promised we would have a decent squad for this season  well that was another lie wasnt it.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 16:09:04 »

We haven't got a decent squad as of today. That may change, though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 16:25:37 »

Goddard looks a good signing but we're heavily reliant on the spine of Thompson, Kasim, and Obika. If any one of those is out, we're in big trouble.

Thompson - injury/suspension prone
Obika - Injury prone
Kasim - International call up/world class sulk prone.

Its a bit of a problem really if this is the spine. Which it is.

As an aide, no idea how he did today but I thought Kassim was very good v Swansea.
Flashheart

« Reply #69 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 16:29:54 »

One thing annoys me power said on the bbc radio chat show with ian longdon he spoke to a town fan and he was asked about having a derby game again ,and the fan was worried about oxford and will we have a good enough team to match them as we havent beaten them in a while he promised we would have a decent squad for this season  well that was another lie wasnt it.

Not quite gotten your head around the concept of time then?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 16:42:47 »

Strange how this pre season seems to have caused more angst than our actual horrendous sequence of results last season.

Maybe it's the expectations not being met that people find worse.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 16:58:05 »

I do not want reckless spending that jeopardises the club.

Power's approach to make sure the club only spends what it can afford is fine. He treats this like a business, fair enough he is not a Swindon fan. I question what the fuck he is doing to generate income though as surely that is the only way out of this? Otherwise you keep cutting costs to match falling revenue every season. How are we getting more fans in? How are we making more match day revenue etc. The entire premise of a new ground is to add more non matchday revenue streams to aid income. He's said repeatedly he's not interested in that as he is a football man.

I dont understand how he has not learnt from previous seasons. He suggested he had and there were a couple of signings lined up as soon as the window opened. That became one and Goddard looks good in fairness. Other than that we have spent a lot of money on a GK and signed a trialist who impressed in Thomas. Surely they had more plans that that for this season? It just seems so badly organised and prepared and it does nothing either to energise the fan base or help the team move forward.

Remember as well the lack of emergency loans this season is essentially the withdrawal of the safety net that probably saved us from relegation last season! We can't afford to wait to the last day of the window, see a couple of loans collapse because there is nothing there to save us now.

I can't remember being less excited for a season for some time. As someone else has said its going to take the stars to align and us find 3/4 free gems and get lucky with 2/3 loans for us to ever get anywhere. We did that 2 years ago and screwed the final up. Each year later it seems less likely as Sherwood can't pimp out 3/4 good players to us (Luongo/Byrne/Hall). We don't know of 2/3 ex spurs players released that could do a job (Kasim/Obika). Those initial contacts seem to have run dry and we are fighting with every other club around now.
Your point about early signings is a very good one. I'm 99% positive in the last phone in I listened to that LP said two players were as good as signed. I'm guessing one was Goddard, the other must have fallen through. Wonder if the Sean Hoare deal still has legs??

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 17:08:37 »

Sound familiar, from Franchise fan

'Lost 4:1 at Stevenage.

Our fans will read too much into it, but we are ridiculously short on numbers right now (and had two more withdraw today). I'd be pretty sure they went out with a safety first attitude this close to the season.

The cavalry should arrive this next week or two....'

And this from Gills fan

'Match abandoned at Orient due to Martin's suspected broken leg, while losing 2-0. So that's 5 players injured while losing to both the league 2 sides we played and left with only 4 fit defenders. All in all a pretty successful preseason.'

newmarket red
, ; . ' ?

Thrives on negativity.

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 17:36:49 »

Strange how this pre season seems to have caused more angst than our actual horrendous sequence of results last season.

Maybe it's the expectations not being met that people find worse.
Not quite gotten your head around the concept of time then?
no im inpatient  mate.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 17:39:51 »

no im inpatient  mate.
Pretty much an open goal there, but I'll swerve it!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: