Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Speedway  (Read 40594 times)
Weasel

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 09:35:31 »

Not knowing a lot about Speedway, I can't work out why - once it was a done deal - they carried on racing? Should it not have been called once it was mathematically impossible to turn it around?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 09:46:15 »

Not knowing a lot about Speedway, I can't work out why - once it was a done deal - they carried on racing? Should it not have been called once it was mathematically impossible to turn it around?

Do you stop a football match if the other team is 6-0 up?!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 09:56:27 »

It's different though, isn't it.  Even at 6-0 up with 2 mins to go, the other team could still win the game in theory - although not in practice.  In speedway, there are only so many points on the table.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 10:22:44 »

It's different though, isn't it.  Even at 6-0 up with 2 mins to go, the other team could still win the game in theory - although not in practice.  In speedway, there are only so many points on the table.

I guess it is just a convention from sport to sport. Seems like maybe when there's a team element to it you play to the end.

For example in Tennis, you don't play out all 5 sets if someone is 3-0 up, but in the Davis cup they will play the 'dead rubbers' even after a tie is decided. (Maybe to do with appearance fees etc?)
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 11:11:32 »

I suppose it is also to do with the spectators. If you pay to go and watch any sport, you will expect to get your moneys worth and see as much as possible. You wouldn't be very happy if they stopped half way just because the tie/match/race or whatever, is over.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 11:20:28 »

As they mentioned last night, most of the riders get paid per point, so that'd be a good reason for them to carry on.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 13:38:44 »

Having seen the Points West news I noted that the speedway team have some 'special' supporters.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 16:51:34 »

Like F1.....if that couldnt get any more fucking pointless.....

Oh look...Jenson has changed his tyres....whoop whoop...boring alert!

Clems Army!
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 17:41:22 »

Having seen the Points West news I noted that the speedway team have some 'special' supporters.
Haha, much like whenever we're on the box and they interview the most challenged people they can find.

It's All Good..............
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 17:51:45 »

On this occasion I actually agree, think it was heat 13 after Swindon had won that Harris nearly had his head knocked off. The riders were all saying how bad the track was and if someone was seriously injured or even killed there would of been uproar.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 17:51:38 »

quick heads up for those not in the know but have nothing better to do/watch this evening..

It's play-offs time again for the elite league and tonight is the first leg of the semi finals.

Swindon V Poole & Wolves V Birmingham.

1st leg for us at blunsdon tonight, both matches on sky sports tonight, alternating between heats. should be 2 good matches.

to cut a long, boring story short, Poole are devious, cheating wankers who shouldnt even be in the play-offs in the first place, so hopefully we'll crush them over the two legs. Again we have a good strong team this year,but poole have strengthened considerably during the year and could well win it, even though they scraped into the play-offs by hook and crook, dragging british speedway's already lowly reputation through the mud in the process.

Should be a cracking match though. 7:30 sky sports.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 18:37:59 »

to cut a long, boring story short, Poole are devious, cheating wankers who shouldnt even be in the play-offs in the first place, so hopefully we'll crush them over the two legs. Again we have a good strong team this year,but poole have strengthened considerably during the year and could well win it, even though they scraped into the play-offs by hook and crook, dragging british speedway's already lowly reputation through the mud in the process.

Poole always 'bend' the rules, and the Speedway authorities let them do it.

Hopefully we'll spank them...

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 18:41:40 »

What did they do (Poole)? Cheat the rider points system?
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 19:25:38 »

I can hear the speedway from my garden in Highworth. So there you go.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 20:13:51 »

So far so good, need to try and keep Ward under control in heat 11
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: