Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Riquleme Quits Argentina  (Read 787 times)
Scot Munroe

« on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 11:54:41 »

Argentina's Juan Roman Riquelme has announced his retirement from the national team for personal reasons.

Riquelme made his debut for his country on November 16, 1997, when the team then managed by Daniel Passarella drew 1-1 with Colombia at La Bombonera.

Since then, he has played 37 international matches and scored 8 goals. He played five World Cup matches, all of them in Germany 2006.

The playmaker captained his side for the first time in Alfio Basile first game as coach in a friendly against Brazil earlier this month, but he has now decided to call time on his career with his country, citing his mother's health as the reason for his decision.

He said: "I've decided not to be part of the national team from now on. I have to think about my mother's health, so it was an easy decision because of that, but painful.

"Since the World Cup finished, she has been taken into hospital twice," he told Telenoche news show on Channel 13, in an exclusive interview.

"I've always had things clear in my mind. Before football, there is my family, specially my mother, who is the greatest thing for me.

"My responsibility is to give her as much time as possible. I don't want her to suffer anymore.

"Even though I explained to her that it's common that a player is criticised, she is my mother and it's normal that she feels sad.

"There's no mother who likes his son to be criticised. I have children and I'm sure it'll bother me too when it happens.

"It is not nice because I know I won't wear the national team shirt anymore, but my mother's health comes before that and my obligation is to take care of her."

The relationship between Riquelme and the fans of the national team has steadily declined over recent seasons.

Fans and media have criticised Riquelme because his performances in the national team had never been as impressive as his form at club level.

After the 2002 World Cup, in which Argentina - without him - were eliminated in first stage, Jose Pekerman gave Riquelme his chance in the senior squad.

He had some good moments, like the first half of the World Cup qualifier against Brazil at Monumental, which Argentina won 3-1.

However, these good performances became less and less frequent, and he arrived in Germany to play the World Cup with the enormous pressure on his shoulders. That pressure affected him and fans made their feelings clear.

He added: "I did not want to retire from football without playing a World Cup. Well or badly, I've played all the competitions a player can play. And my father saw me playing a World Cup."

Following the defeat to Brazil recently, Riquelme was again the target of the critics. However, he thanked coach Basile for taking him into account.

"Basile understood my decision. I thanked him for having called me for his debut and for naming me his captain. But my mother is now above football," he continued.

"It will be very strange to watch the national team without me. But I'll wish them the best luck. I have friends there and I will always want them to play well.

"When I watch my first game of the national team since retiring, I'll suffer more than normal because it's easier to be on the field. But I'll be calm because my mother will have peace."
hansgruber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 17:04:05 »

Shrug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: