Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: No more listening to matches for me  (Read 10054 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:36:15 »

The quality of the stream for the amount they charge is something that bothers me much more
Flashheart

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:37:42 »

I'm trying to understand how it can be said the commentary is good when at times we don't even know which team has scored. Surely that's the bare minimum we should expect yet even that is not being met.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:38:01 »

All you need to do is watch any game of football at this level to soon realise how much time the ball spends out of play or in the air - and there are large chunks of the game where nothing happens.

Plus how much description do you need for things like goal keeper has placed the ball down, walked backwards 6 yards, run forward 6 yards and kicked the ball in the air? Or ball boy gets the ball throws it to the full back, he bounces it then puts it above his head, looks around, no ones moving, he waits, the ref blows his whistle, 2 players are pulling each others shirts, the ref talks to them. They continue to do it anyway. The full back finally takes the throw in and the opposition head it out 2 yards further down the pitch and exactly the same thing happens again.

As for the goals - I can't remember the last time a goal went in and I wasn't sure which team has scored it. It certainly hasn't happened since the excitable Vic Morgan was commentating - who I'm pretty certain used to get slated on here most weeks as well.

I enjoy listening to Alan Mac although sometimes he comes across as more of an analyst than a commentator if that makes sense.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:39:39 »

Agree DV, think that's summarised where I was coming from.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:41:02 »

Alan Mac is there to analyse, and for my money does that well. It is the commentary part from Chris Wise that is poo.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:49:58 by wiggy » Logged

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:46:02 »

I wonder how much longer it will be before the games are actually shown live, even just one camera placed in the stand sending via satellite feed.

There is a camera at every game already and maybe it would be tied in with Sky and pay an amount to watch each game beamed live. I would be willing to pay a fair amount for this privilege via STFC Player and that way it wouldnt matter who was commentating.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:49:52 »

I am in agreement with Flashheart and Peter here. I am very rarely certain who has scored, or even the team that has scored. I am led to believe that the quality of our play is pretty much the same for every match, from last night's commentary I had no idea that it was one of the worst we had played under Paolo for example. And the commentary is quite likely to cut out just at a crucial moment so I am even more uncertain who has scored ( though of course I realise that this is not the commentator's fault ).
My subscription to Player runs out this month and I don't think I shall be renewing it. Not immediately, anyway.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Flashheart

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 09:06:45 »

Plus how much description do you need for things like goal keeper has placed the ball down

At least knowing the ball is with the keeper at all would be a start.

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 09:30:48 »

I think people are overly negative about the commentary some times. There are definitely times when it's poor and you're left wondering what's going on, but on the whole I thought I had a pretty good idea of the game yesterday. We kept getting the ball and losing it, Sanchez Watt kept battling against our defence, we were bypassing midfield, Ritchie was hardly in the game and the strikers were feeding off scraps. Oh and Rose scored a free kick, which was described in some detail.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 10:40:09 »

I've been sat on my own at matches this season, and listening to the commentary at the same time.

When they're 'waffling on', you really don't miss much of whats happening on the pitch, because nothing of note is. Trust me.

Things get better but they never get good
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 17:15:58 »

I listened to the Wycombe vs Preston bottom div play off final in 94 (don't for the life of me remember why), and when Wycombe scored their 4th, the commentator dropped the mic while celebrating.  You could audibly tell he had run off to join in the fans celebration as his cheering got fainter, there was a period of a few seconds or so with just background crowd noise before his cheer returned getting louder until he fumbled the mic back up.

That's how I want commentary to be.
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 17:42:55 »

Who does the commentary now?  I have a player subscription but never listen -- haven't done since we lost away to Dag and Red in 2010.  I found between their commentary and me listening jinxed it for the Town.

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 17:46:07 »

I honestly dont see what the fuss is all about,I think its fine.

/
W56196272
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 18:20:12 »

I'd rather they worked on getting the commentary in the same time zone as the majority of fans in the UK.

I think if the team played a bit better the commentary might sound a bit better.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 18:31:55 »

I'd rather they worked on getting the commentary in the same time zone as the majority of fans in the UK.

Having STFC Player a good minute behind real time in my opinion is a joke.

Normally twitter or even on here has informed me that we have scored and on my laptop the opposition are shooting or Wes has the ball!

It's a joke!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: