Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oxford v Swindon pre match  (Read 38455 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 20:59:37 »

https://twitter.com/BBCWiltsSport/status/1320073419384291328?s=20

Wellens has his say.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:00:59 »

Leaving aside whether ticket allocations have been sold out in years gone by, the current div 3 table does not make happy reading for either side.

Nothing to see here
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:10:53 »

Over the last decade or so Oxford United FC and Oxford Mail have been very good at stoking the fire of the rivalry on social media and their respective websites.

We've never really got involved (rightly or wrongly) and I think that creates a lot of the intensity from their side... that and their elders remember when beating Swindon Town was more of a novelty.

Reading the comments from Town and Oxford fans in the build-up to the derby always amuses me what with the significant rise of such things as urine, genitalia and inbreeding.

Football, eh!?

Remember a chat with an older Oxford fan back in the 1990s.  He remembered the days pre-Oxford United when buses used to run at weekends from Oxford to the nearest local League game.  One week there would be a football bus to Swindon; and the next to Reading.

So when they got their League status in the late 1950s, the old chap I spoke to said it was like they had to claim their territory.  To this day, there are still plenty of Town fans in places like Abingdon & Wantage...so Oxford fans in the early days felt they had to mark their territory.  Prove they were equals etc.  He said it went a long way to explain why the animosity has always been stronger on their side.

I do remember getting quite in to the rivalry & even internet chatter when I was younger, but the older you get it means less & less.  A rivalry is great.  Adds colour to the experience of being a football fan.  But the point at which you find yourself dwelling too much on football forum outpourings from rival club fans is the point at which you probably need a bit more balance in your life.

Final thought.  Fans of both clubs - Swindon & Oxford - have way more in common than most would care to admit.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:16:53 »

we do have a lot in common.

we are clearly better though!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:19:13 »

Remember a chat with an older Oxford fan back in the 1990s.  He remembered the days pre-Oxford United when buses used to run at weekends from Oxford to the nearest local League game.  One week there would be a football bus to Swindon; and the next to Reading.

So when they got their League status in the late 1950s, the old chap I spoke to said it was like they had to claim their territory.  To this day, there are still plenty of Town fans in places like Abingdon & Wantage...so Oxford fans in the early days felt they had to mark their territory.  Prove they were equals etc.  He said it went a long way to explain why the animosity has always been stronger on their side.

I do remember getting quite in to the rivalry & even internet chatter when I was younger, but the older you get it means less & less.  A rivalry is great.  Adds colour to the experience of being a football fan.  But the point at which you find yourself dwelling too much on football forum outpourings from rival club fans is the point at which you probably need a bit more balance in your life.

Final thought.  Fans of both clubs - Swindon & Oxford - have way more in common than most would care to admit.

I prefer playing Bristol City than Oxford it's a better atmosphere where as Oxford is just poisonous from start to finish against a club that thinks its bigger than us

So, give no fucks
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:20:12 »

we do have a lot in common.

we are clearly better though!

Goes without saying, Batch.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:21:41 »

I get the rivalry but struggling to see what we have in common

So, give no fucks
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:26:46 »

Supporting a mid/low-ranking local club, identifying with your local area & taking a bit of local pride - in preference to following a billionnaire-backed Prem side that you'll probably never get to see live.  Oxford fans are doing just the same 30 miles up the road.  The colours are different, but the sentiments are just the same.
come on you redssss

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:31:23 »

Not a regular poster on here, but have to say I really don’t see how our rivalry is so different from any other football league one. Both sides engage in tragic online banter, we laugh at each other’s fuck ups and erm, are both relatively shite! But I suppose that’s all part of the fun eh. Would definitely say the rivalry is stronger on their side but both sides like to portray it as a bigger rivalry than what it really is. If you ask most other FL teams if they knew we were rivals, I’m sure a lot wouldn’t know! But I assume it’s the same for any lower league rivalry.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:32:09 »

I would imagine that applies to most of League 1&2 clubs
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 21:33:55 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 23:10:45 »

Trouble is I'm getting old, Oxford has never really excited me as they are nothing. I grew up nearer Bristol than Oxford, at least they have two historic clubs. The only time I consider Oxford are when we are playing them.
Valid Pint

« Reply #266 on: Saturday, October 24, 2020, 23:53:09 »

twitter:
james carpenter
@jamesalexc
Banbury United have 600 attending their FA cup match tomorrow yet we aren’t allowed and fans at the Kassam or any league clubs matches . How is this fair ?

WAAAH!

Did he know we got the game called off to ruin their big day? They must be as disappointed as when bananas were banned from Poxford's youth team changing room https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bananagate
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 06:44:40 »

twitter:
james carpenter
@jamesalexc
Banbury United have 600 attending their FA cup match tomorrow yet we aren’t allowed and fans at the Kassam or any league clubs matches . How is this fair ?

WAAAH!

Did he know we got the game called off to ruin their big day? They must be as disappointed as when bananas were banned from Poxford's youth team changing room https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bananagate

How was the Banbury game, sounded good on the radio and a couple of cracking goals
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 06:59:28 »

Not a regular poster on here, but have to say I really don’t see how our rivalry is so different from any other football league one. Both sides engage in tragic online banter, we laugh at each other’s fuck ups and erm, are both relatively shite! But I suppose that’s all part of the fun eh. Would definitely say the rivalry is stronger on their side but both sides like to portray it as a bigger rivalry than what it really is. If you ask most other FL teams if they knew we were rivals, I’m sure a lot wouldn’t know! But I assume it’s the same for any lower league rivalry.
I'm old enough to know better, so so old enough. But it does mean more to me and anyways will. In fact I can't think of a game i'd class as bigger in domestic football other than one that secures promotion/avoids relegation.

So if ask what 'bigger rivalry than what it really is' means.

I guess it's simply a personal view for all of us. And that depending on where you live and when has an influence on who our biggest rivals are.

That's not having a pop, I get that the range of views go from 'just another game' to 'death to custard, because it's yellow'.

Actually I hate custard a bit more after typing that.
Valid Pint

« Reply #269 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 07:25:15 »

I don't even give to Oxfam.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: