Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Franchise v Swindon Town Matchday thread  (Read 26566 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 10:47:32 »

Don't try and bring any logic into this discussion or you will suddenly be called a happy clapper

The issue is, if we had a competitive budget, we wouldn't be in this dire situation talking about fucking Adeloye.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #661 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 10:52:18 »

I think there is definitely more of a chance of that happening with Aguiar. But like you said, we don't need them to be first XI we just need numbers in.

Although CM is probably the one place other than GK we're actually covered well. Every other position is fucking dire for a squad in 2023.

GK is obviously a bit of niche position but we picked up a perfectly capable short term stop gap L2 GK on a free who hadn’t been employed for nearly a year.

There is no reason to believe there isn’t that type of player out there for other positions.
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 10:53:10 »

The issue is, if we had a competitive budget, we wouldn't be in this dire situation talking about fucking Adeloye.

I'm not sure his posts says that we don't need more players, which is what I was responding to.  You need to take your blinkers off and read the actual post.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 10:55:03 »

I'm not sure his posts says that we don't need more players, which is what I was responding to.  You need to take your blinkers off and read the actual posts.

I'm reading the posts.

He's saying people are moaning we've loaned people out. The reason people are moaning about this is because of the greater route cause of a clearly lack of competitive budget. Clem has sold Flynn the same pup he sold all of us and sold Morris or I doubt Flynn would have let them go out on loan.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #664 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:02:19 »

Another damning red flag is, we have a free loan spot we never bothered to use.

We clearly need numbers but can't get anyone in on a short term deal or a loan offering to pay a portion of wages to help us in January?

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:07:05 »

GK is obviously a bit of niche position but we picked up a perfectly capable short term stop gap L2 GK on a free who hadn’t been employed for nearly a year.

There is no reason to believe there isn’t that type of player out there for other positions.

Like er... Tom Brewitt and George McEachran, signed in February, who you'd have to say have gone pretty well. Brewitt wasn't even first choice outside of the window, we only signed him when Mariappa said no right?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:09:04 »

loaning out Adeloye is clearly about freeing up the wages.

Undoubtedly so, but quite possibly based upon the fact that Flynn thinks he is no better than the young lad and thus not worth keeping around, also bearing in mind that if Adeloye is scoring elsewhere it may help the chances of offloading someone not good enough for here in January.

I honestly think we are saying broadly the same thing, my gripe is more (and not aimed at yourself) the recurring theme on here of their being a plethora of possible reasons why decisions are being taken, some shit, some making sense, but ultimately unless we all attend training every day and can read Flynn's and Clem's minds its simple conjecture at best yet invariably its the shittest most negative that becomes fact by repetition mainly.

We definitely do not get our young players out on loan high enough up the pyramid to make a significant improvement: the only time we’ve really done that was with Twine.

is that because they are simply not good enough, was thinking while I was on my bike last night, how many players have stayed here long enough for the loan process and then either made it into the first team or gone on to better things, the recurring theme over the last 20 odd years has been they get picked off at youth level to bigger (not necessarily better) things, no doubt missed loads but pretty much Twine is the only one that I could think of who did the youth, loan, develop, first team, moved on route, we have ones like the Thompsons/Jutkiewicz who stayed around for a while but there aren't that many, and is it much different at many clubs at this level these days.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #667 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:11:08 »

Like er... Tom Brewitt and George McEachran, signed in February, who you'd have to say have gone pretty well. Brewitt wasn't even first choice outside of the window, we only signed him when Mariappa said no right?

You forget, Brewitt is shit and nowhere near a first team player!  Wink
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #668 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:14:28 »

I keep seeing people post as fact that we don't have a competitive budget, can you please tell me what budget would be competitive?

And don't say it's in the top 7, because i'm pretty sure other teams in the League are not going to tell us before the season starts what their budget is.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #669 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:14:46 »

Maybe Adeloye was loaned out because Flynn thought Wakeling was staying and/or he would be replaced by signing another striker.

We’ve managed to fuck up recent transfer windows so why not that one.

Managed decline?
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #670 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:14:58 »

You forget, Brewitt is shit and nowhere near a first team player!  Wink

Limited. Unlike his limitless teammates.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #671 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:16:20 »

Limited. Unlike his limitless teammates.

You made an appearance on a LS Podcast by the way. (i'm way behind, I think it was the Grimsby one) I've also been mentioned once on an episode so your in good company! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #672 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:16:57 »

I keep seeing people post as fact that we don't have a competitive budget, can you please tell me what budget would be competitive?

And don't say it's in the top 7, because i'm pretty sure other teams in the League are not going to tell us before the season starts what their budget is.

Enough to sign more than 18 semi-experienced professional footballers would be great (we have 22 pros, but that includes Dworzak, Minturn, Genesini and Benn Ward who had all played fewer than 5 professional games at the start of the season). That 18 also includes Reece Devine, who will probably never play for us again.

I realise this thread is enormously circular now, but surely nobody things this squad is *fine*. I can respect the arguments that there are mitigating circumstances, but let's not pretend the situation isn't sub-optimal.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #673 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:19:18 »

And don't say it's in the top 7, because I'm pretty sure other teams in the League are not going to tell us before the season starts what their budget is.

One that can stretch to our current squad and about 4 or 5 more players. Basically the budget Flynn expected where he wanted 4 more in before selling Wakeling.

That.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #674 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 11:19:58 »

Undoubtedly so, but quite possibly based upon the fact that Flynn thinks he is no better than the young lad and thus not worth keeping around, also bearing in mind that if Adeloye is scoring elsewhere it may help the chances of offloading someone not good enough for here in January.

I honestly think we are saying broadly the same thing, my gripe is more (and not aimed at yourself) the recurring theme on here of their being a plethora of possible reasons why decisions are being taken, some shit, some making sense, but ultimately unless we all attend training every day and can read Flynn's and Clem's minds its simple conjecture at best yet invariably its the shittest most negative that becomes fact by repetition mainly.

is that because they are simply not good enough, was thinking while I was on my bike last night, how many players have stayed here long enough for the loan process and then either made it into the first team or gone on to better things, the recurring theme over the last 20 odd years has been they get picked off at youth level to bigger (not necessarily better) things, no doubt missed loads but pretty much Twine is the only one that I could think of who did the youth, loan, develop, first team, moved on route, we have ones like the Thompsons/Jutkiewicz who stayed around for a while but there aren't that many, and is it much different at many clubs at this level these days.

Yeah. I think we are broadly saying the same thing just maybe making slightly different assumptions. Categorically agree with your point about ‘he who shouts loudest’ tends to get listened to more…

You’re probably not wrong on the last point. We don’t produce enough young players for our first team. Any that look decent are *usually* snapped up long before they get to our first team & others are just not good enough.

However, I think Minturn is at that *Twine point* probably not quite good enough to hold down a regular place in our first team & a full season of first team football the next level down would be the best thing for his development. I’m sure if I thought hard enough there might be some other examples I could think of but it’s the type of loan we really aren’t very good at. If you’re 17-19 and at the point where the decision is going to made soon about whether you’re offered a pro deal and the best loan deal Town can get you is Supermarine or North Leigh - you’ve probably already found your level.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: