Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Martin Ling  (Read 31624 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 21:19:32 »

We don't know yet what effect this will happen on this season. There's no way of telling whether it was a 'disaster' or anything else, positive or negative.

The biggest potential I can see for a 'disaster' is on Ling himself. Hopefully his decision is more preemptive than anything else.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 21:22:15 »

Not quite sure if I've mentioned that he won 5 of his 9 games but if that constitutes a disaster then fuck knows what we were experiencing during the last 10 or 12 games of Cooper's reign.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 21:27:54 »

Not quite sure if I've mentioned that he won 5 of his 9 games but if that constitutes a disaster then fuck knows what we were experiencing during the last 10 or 12 games of Cooper's reign.

I don't think he meant Ling was a disaster in results, but more having to find a new manager so soon is*

*well, could be. Or not. etc, etc.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 21:30:00 by Batch » Logged
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 21:45:35 »

Just me maybe, but I think this thread was better when it contained positive messages and support... as in, it probably didn't need an "I told you so" about it not working out  Doh

Good luck to Ling, it's clearly for the best that he looks after his health first and foremost. Not ideal from a football perspective, but that becomes totally irrelevant in the circumstances.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Talk Talk

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 21:46:48 »

Well it's hardly an unbridled success is it? Enlighten me. How am I wrong?

<fuck me I am agreeing with Dave M Russell>

That is exactly what you said and meant Dave

</fuck me I am agreeing with Dave M Russell>

You're still a cunt though xxx
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 22:02:32 »

No one person is bigger than a club. STFC will carry on regardless.

Ling appeared to do a good job of turning things round in a short space of time he was with us. That may have been because of his individual talent, how the management and coaching team gelled or how the players reacted. We'll never really know.

I feel very sorry for Ling if it is a reoccurrence of depression. Pretty certain that if he recovers he will not be able to manage a team again. Or, perhaps it means he's going to have to battle it for the rest of his life, which is pretty awful? That is if it is depression. Maybe its something else that hadn't been previously diagnosed? I'm not really sure which is worse!

Bottom line is that I'm sure we all thank Lingy for his efforts and wish him a speedy recovery from whatever health issues he is currently suffering.

(There really is nothing else to say on the matter)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 22:16:04 »

I'm not trolling

Getting back to the subject of the thread, it was great to have Ling back, even briefly, and most posters it seems now believe that a bad run can be quickly turned round with the present squad (which may not have been the case before he came) and also, thank God, wish him well for the future.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 22:27:25 »

It's not really a disaster, but it was always a risk....which is why when TMPM asked this question...
My answer was unlikely but you can never tell.  OK not sacked but gone.

Yes, you're always quick to make these half-baked, tentative predictions, worded in a non-committal way. Of course, you're very selective about the ones that you dredge up and re-quote weeks or months down the line.

I suppose all the carefully worded predictions of impending doom will remain in the archives, owing to the fact that we've finished no lower than 8th in the last 4 seasons. In 2013 you were still on about relegation in mid March.
Talk Talk

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 22:41:22 »

Yes, you're always quick to make these half-baked, tentative predictions, worded in a non-committal way. Of course, you're very selective about the ones that you dredge up and re-quote weeks or months down the line.

I suppose all the carefully worded predictions of impending doom will remain in the archives, owing to the fact that we've finished no lower than 8th in the last 4 seasons. In 2013 you were still on about relegation in mid March.

Ferret by name...

I salute you sir  Cool
woolster

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 22:47:35 »

Popcorn
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 22:51:42 »

Quote from: RedRag
I'm not trolling

Getting back to the subject of the thread, it was great to have Ling back, even briefly, and most posters it seems now believe that a bad run can be quickly turned round with the present squad (which may not have been the case before he came) and also, thank God, wish him well for the future.

just playing devils advocate: getting the first team back helped. and there was a study years ago that suggested on average while there may be a honeymoon period that changing manner on average didn't change a teams fortunes longer term.

me, well two games aside we stopped leaking two goals a game, played with two up top and looked like we were giving ourselves a fighting chance of mid table (if January doesn't screw it up). he did well.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 22:54:01 by Batch » Logged
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 22:52:31 »

I'm gutted for Martin - his openness and honesty demonstrated a perspective which always suggested that there was more to life than whether the referee was right or wrong to give a penalty, or if the players had run about enough or not.  Even though (for me) there was little discernible improvement in the home performances (results, yes), his approach was a breath of fresh air after the pretty sour Cooper days.

I hope he gets well and working again soon, and am sure he'll always be welcomed fondly back to the CG.

As I think I said at the time of his appointment, I'm proud that the club took the risk of bringing him in: Power really is a curious fish, goodness knows what will happen next.
ekarot

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 23:32:47 »

Also just a point there were only 3 representatives of stfc in directors box at burton .Having already posted about Williams doing the organisation stuff and shouting maybe it was all known about before the game .And before anyone asks I was in the directors box as a guest of a burton director
Mega load

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 23:41:30 »

IF Martin Ling's issues are mental health related and he felt obliged to resign as a consequence, I would like someone to start a campaign for the club to reject his resignation and for him to remain as manager and for him to come back when he is ready, and to repeat this process for as long as it takes for him to beat this thing.

“where mercy is shown mercy is given” – Dog the bounty hunter
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 23:42:56 »

Fucking hell....................

Must be in the Wilts air, surely it's that or the fucking drinking water  

Swindon just never does it easy !!!

After following the club for 54 years it must be said STFC has more turns than Dallas and especially who shot JR.

That said, wishing Martin Ling good luck for the future.

COYMR's  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: