Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 46   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wilson Out  (Read 80780 times)
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:05:43 »

I can't help but think sticking with him will be a better decision longer term. He got us out of a mess and took us to a play off final when nothing was expected of him. Yeah, he hasn't done well this season but at the same time we've had rotten luck this season and we're suffering a massive playoff hangover which is pretty common.

We've shown enough times this season that we can be a fucking good team, and the last few performances have been encouraging. Wilson is a good manager, you'd do well to find a player that doesn't like him, and he hasn't become crap overnight.

Chopping and changing managers will do us no good. We all moaned at Sturrock and Wise's lack of loyalty, why should we have the right to moan about them if we show Wilson no loyalty? Granted this season has been poor but, with a little perspective, he's done a great job here and has produced the best football my generation has seen.

I'd keep him, for a long time. Finish this season with a bit of momentum (I'm confident he'll keep us up and we'll finish strong) and go into next season flying, with the younger players continuing to improve.

Maybe I'm a little naïve thinking longer term, but I just feel very strongly that Fitton's doing a good job by backing him. Even if we do go down, who would do a better job at getting us out of that league than Wilson?! There's no better manager for that level, should the worst happen.

It's tough because obviously we all want instant success and this year it aint happening, but I'm confident if he's still given the time and funds, Wilson will do good things here.

Spot on.
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:06:35 »

DW is here until the end of the season if AF was going to let him go he would have carried this out prior to the transfer window
The point that annoys me is if you look at the table all the clubs round us are on paper smaller clubs in terms of gates and money yet we are down there with them.
We lost key players in the summer and have not been replaced whoose fault is that? well you could say AF for the funds or is DW not attracting the right type of players?
It is all well and good to say we will receive a loan player from a Preimer side but lets get real it i will be a youth player that they want to develop
The away form is crap and we still have to play Brighton, Southampton and Huddersfield away we need to focus on our home form and attempt to climb up the table
If we escape relegation then AF needs to have a good look of what we want to achieve over the next 3-5 years(young player manager type we have a good record of this in the past)
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:11:18 »

I think part of the problem is that most of the new posters who come in making comments like that geezer did earlier are no where near as reasoned as you and an awful lot of them haven't been to the games.  They just shout Wilson out.

I, and Im sure most people on this forum, don't mind reason discussion.  Its just that its not what we are getting most of the time.

I didn't go last night but was encouraged by what I heard from people I believe.  I did go on Saturday and felt that a huge change was evident in the attitude, application and play of the team.  I strongly believe that there has been a weight lifted off their shoulders and they will turn the corner.  Leaking goals for fun?  Previous to last night we've had 2 clean sheets.

I do find it amazing that people at the games have not noticed a huge change.  I find it more amazing the willingness people not at the games have to demand sackings. (Obviously Im not including you in that as you've been at the games).

If we dont win on Saturday it may be a different matter.  I may start panicking then.

Come on mate throw me a bone.. So we're not leaking goals for fun? Away from home 29 we've let in. That's the second worst in the division. They hit the post twice last night as well. And as for your 2 clean sheets prior to last night, big fucking deal, 2 points from a possible 6 at home to Tranmere and Exeter. Woopy cunting do. If you're happy with that then we might as well keep Wilson.
There is no huge change my friend. You are in denial. 1 win in 10 and now in the relegation zone. Wake up....
Mplanney

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:11:41 »

I can't help but think sticking with him will be a better decision longer term. He got us out of a mess and took us to a play off final when nothing was expected of him. Yeah, he hasn't done well this season but at the same time we've had rotten luck this season and we're suffering a massive playoff hangover which is pretty common.

We've shown enough times this season that we can be a fucking good team, and the last few performances have been encouraging. Wilson is a good manager, you'd do well to find a player that doesn't like him, and he hasn't become crap overnight.

Chopping and changing managers will do us no good. We all moaned at Sturrock and Wise's lack of loyalty, why should we have the right to moan about them if we show Wilson no loyalty? Granted this season has been poor but, with a little perspective, he's done a great job here and has produced the best football my generation has seen.

I'd keep him, for a long time. Finish this season with a bit of momentum (I'm confident he'll keep us up and we'll finish strong) and go into next season flying, with the younger players continuing to improve.

Maybe I'm a little naïve thinking longer term, but I just feel very strongly that Fitton's doing a good job by backing him. Even if we do go down, who would do a better job at getting us out of that league than Wilson?! There's no better manager for that level, should the worst happen.

It's tough because obviously we all want instant success and this year it aint happening, but I'm confident if he's still given the time and funds, Wilson will do good things here.

I very much agree with what you said, think he should stay.  

I think many of the players are as much to blame, most look a shadow of the players we had last year, yes you could put that done to motivation of the manager, but I don't think that's the main problem, it happen at every level, some players improve the next season, some have a bad season or part of a season, then six month later improve again, not just at our level.  Look at the difference between Rooney and Torres of the last few years.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:13:52 »

Basingstoke Town? No it wasnt great 1st half, but their first goal was a deflection, and their winner was a foul on Phil Smith.

The Bristol Rovers game Id have some sympathy, but not last night.

So now we're picking and choosing when it's OK to let in 3 goals?
Do me a favour
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:16:13 »

Come on mate throw me a bone.. So we're not leaking goals for fun? Away from home 29 we've let in. That's the second worst in the division. They hit the post twice last night as well. And as for your 2 clean sheets prior to last night, big fucking deal, 2 points from a possible 6 at home to Tranmere and Exeter. Woopy cunting do. If you're happy with that then we might as well keep Wilson.
There is no huge change my friend. You are in denial. 1 win in 10 and now in the relegation zone. Wake up....

Brilliant post, at least someone else feels the same as me

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:17:26 »

if we go down then the decision not to sack wilson would have been the wrong one.
it could be argued that just staying up by the skin of our teeth will be unacceptable too.
if we stablise and have a mid table finish with some promising performances then we will have hope to take into next season.
time will tell.....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:18:42 »

So now we're picking and choosing when it's OK to let in 3 goals?
Do me a favour

I think he' saying last night we were unlucky to conceed three, where as previously we've deserved to conceed 2 or 3 or more.

Obviously we can't keep conceeding as many as we have up to this point in the season. it should become clearer over the next few games whether we've turned the corner on that or not. Either way we aren't bringing in any more centre backs to compliment the 5 we already have!
Spencer_White

« Reply #368 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:22:33 »

This season has been a poor effort. And if you look back to early october, I was saying earlier than most people that there we were nowhere near a Play Off standard and some games the effort was piss poor.

The fans this season were slow to recognise that we were playing poorly, and now they are slow to realise that the effort and application is there.

I cant argue with the results, or the goals conceeded. But if we play like we did last night and against Exeter, and everyone still slags the players/manager off then you will only go one way.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:28:24 »

I don't think sacking him now will achieve anything. He should have gone before the window, or not at all. No one else will come in and do any better with the squad we have.

The main issue we have is that the problems have been blindingly obvious (no partner for Austin, and now no Austin, coupled with a leaky defence in need of experience and direction) yet for some reason, be it at Fitton's behest or whatever, the reinforcements we have amount to a load of young lads with limited/no experience of football, let alone a lower league relegation fight. Whoever is in charge for the next few months will need a large slice of good fortune to keep us up.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:31:06 »

I cannot even be fucking bothered with you.

Barry.  When's that ignore button happening?

Never knowingly overstated.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:32:42 »

Train wreck
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:36:56 »

So we're not leaking goals for fun? Away from home 29 we've let in. That's the second worst in the division.

Indeed, the defense has been a problem this season. So the manager went out in the transfer window and bought 2 new defenders (3 inc Frampton). Let's see how they fit into the side over the next few games and if that makes a difference in the goals conceded column.

I understand if you criticize him for not addressing the issue in the summer, but he made a mistake, identified the problem it caused and has made an attempt to solve it at the earliest available opportunity.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:41:25 »

I cannot even be fucking bothered with you.

Barry.  When's that ignore button happening?

Awesome counter argument Nash. You should be a politician.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 13:43:06 »

I for one was calling for his head pre transfer window as a new manager could have bought in his own style of players.

However that didn't happen and I for one will back him and the team now until the end of the season, when I still feel it will be right to look to change things.

Lets not forget also that its not just a new manager that we will need to fork out for but backroom staff as well
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 46   Go Up
Print
Jump to: