Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Douglas  (Read 13076 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #75 on: Saturday, July 4, 2009, 10:14:42 »

We could be considering giving him a big signing on fee, then lower wages?

More good work by Wilson. Just to get him down here.

What we need is another player like Tommy Mooney. Where you can see a real leader from his very first game down here. If Douglas can come down and show he is a class act from the off then everyone will forget about wages straight away, fans and players.

Obviously there is a reverse scenario as well.

Definitely true and I said the same to my work mate on the train home yesterday.

We haven't really had that same input frm a player since he left. I suppose Wise, but he wasn't a player.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Saturday, July 4, 2009, 10:35:55 »

Just a thought re wages and signing on fees, clearly releasing 13 players and selling Cox for 2.5 million is going to free up a fair bit of cash. The squad is going to be much smaller this season and so we might be able to be fairly competitive with other clubs on the wages front. Clearly we aren't going to be able to compete with Huddersfield as they are too ace but we might surprise a few clubs with our wage budget.

True that. We got rid of some possible big earners like Brez, Nalis, Corr and of course now Cox. Btw i'm not saying all the above were on big wages that's just a speculated guess and i'm probably wrong.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, July 4, 2009, 12:47:42 »

Soccer? No

Jonathan Douglas is from Ireland, which is just like America, where 'football' is of course, not as we know it.

Hence, 'soccer'.

And the fact that Helping Hand has bothered to post a teenie bit of inside news there is mildly encouraging enough for me....
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, July 4, 2009, 14:05:56 »

"Soccer" is supposed to be a corruption of the word "Association" as in Association Football, as opposed to Rugby Football.

http://soccerlens.com/why-do-americans-call-it-soccer/3360/
That's Brandi Chavstain, I think in the picture.

The word was derived from Association Football, which was the original term given to the game in the 1860s at the elite schools that spawned the sport in England. The abbreviation “Assoccer”, which became “soccer,” was used by the British upper classes of that period. When the sport was embraced by the less fortunate, the name of “soccer” was passed down. But most commoners used the word “football” to describe their new game.

Yes guv, you're a real toff, but  I call it Football. 
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, July 4, 2009, 16:44:08 »

hoofball - the modern name
Spencer_White

« Reply #80 on: Saturday, July 4, 2009, 16:49:43 »

Definitely true and I said the same to my work mate on the train home yesterday.

We haven't really had that same input frm a player since he left. I suppose Wise, but he wasn't a player.

Just need someone with a bit of something about them to get the momentum at the club going again.

Kick some ass.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, July 4, 2009, 18:39:41 »

Just need someone with a bit of something about them to get the momentum at the club going again.

Kick some ass.

"Kick some ass."  That's rather American.

Spencer_White

« Reply #82 on: Saturday, July 4, 2009, 18:40:51 »

If were going to play soccer we might as well kick some ass.

Yee hah.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, July 4, 2009, 18:48:10 »

Kicking ass is what we do...

helping_hand

« Reply #84 on: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 00:01:32 »

Soccer? No

as stated by a previous poster, we have our own version of football, it's called gaelic football, and to let you in on another little bit of inside information, jonathan has been training with the local football team  Yes Yes (gaelic) since he has been home so he has been training throughout the pre-season, and played a game for the senior team last week against Emyvale (where tommy bowe is from, if you know your rugby) and he scored a goal, the other pro soccer  Yes player scored 3 points in the same game.

to be honest i do usually call the english version football not soccer, but throughout the months of june july augus and some of sept our major gaelic football season is in play so it gets called football for those few months.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #85 on: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 00:03:41 »

I love a bit of Gaelic Soccer
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 00:36:38 »

I love a bit of Gaelic Soccer
You just love a bit of gay-lick, admit it
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 01:10:08 »

What gets me about all the pretenders to the title of "football" is that other than (soccer) football, hands are used more than foots so why the fuck call them football. Sure, they all originate pretty much directly from mob football but all the others went down the hands route so why do they stick with the football part?

Admittedly the first football rules allowed outfield players to use their hands, it was removed pretty quickly.

Well worth reading up on the history of all the football games if you're bored and looking for something to do.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #88 on: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 11:25:26 »

Think I'll just stick to watching them (football games that is, not gays licking).

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 11:27:12 »

go galway!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: