Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yeovil vs. Swindon Match Day Thingy.  (Read 29187 times)
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:32:50 »

DW has slung his fucking hook

Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:35:46 »

Ed's looking for him.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:35:56 »

I think it shows without the loan players we wouldnt be good enough to stay up.

The team assembled in the summer was not League 1 standard.

Thats fairly damning on the board and Malpas and our own players, and its something that we should not brush aside. We need better players this summer, whatever league we are in.
Fair enough, certainly damning of Malpas and players. Not sure about board tho - we all thought the team we started the season with should have been good enough to finish mid-table or even push for play-offs. I remember some pretty high hopes at the start of the season, and a load of people slating Malpas (probably fairly) because he wasn't getting us in the top half with a team that should have been challenging for play-offs etc. Truth is the players weren't good enough in the final analysis, but I don't know that I'd expect the board to spot that any more than we did
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:37:54 »

Perhaps he knows he's not allowed to say "fucking useless arseholes" on live radio and therefore doesn't see much point in doing postmatch interview
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:39:40 »

I think the board would argue that their outlay was proportionate to the outlay of the fans.  If the take up of season tickets had been higher (the failure to hit the 6,000 target was obviously a disappointment to them), so would the spending have been.  Fits in with their desire to run the club on a commercial basis.

Luckily, they will have one year more experience of running a football club this summer compared with last summer.  They're on a learning curve.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:41:12 »

Fair enough, certainly damning of Malpas and players. Not sure about board tho - we all thought the team we started the season with should have been good enough to finish mid-table or even push for play-offs. I remember some pretty high hopes at the start of the season, and a load of people slating Malpas (probably fairly) because he wasn't getting us in the top half with a team that should have been challenging for play-offs etc. Truth is the players weren't good enough in the final analysis, but I don't know that I'd expect the board to spot that any more than we did

Bollocks, it was evident at the end of last season that we were in deep shit.  We got some points against teams that had nothing to play for right at the end.  

Malpas sucked the life out the team as soon as he showed up.  Signings over the summer were just not good enough.  The opening game against Tranmere gave a totally false impression.  Teams learned it was easy to punish us.  It has taken Wilson some key loan signings and moving Heaven and Earth to give us a chance to stay up.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:42:44 »

Bollocks, it was evident at the end of last season that we were in deep shit.  We got some points against teams that had nothing to play for right at the end.  

Malpas sucked the life out the team as soon as he showed up.  Signings over the summer were just not good enough.  The opening game against Tranmere gave a totally false impression.  Teams learned it was easy to punish us.  It has taken Wilson some key loan signings and moving heaven and Earth to give us a chance to stay up.
I wouldn't disagree. But that wasn't what most people started out saying at the start of the season, which was my point.
Spencer_White

« Reply #277 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:45:02 »

We didnt spot it Paul, Malpas didnt spot it, but I think a decent manager (like Wilson) Would have spotted it. The bookies also spotted it, they all had us down as the 5th worst team in the league.

Ardiles, in the summer we payed around £70,000 for a total waste of money called Yinka Casal. We also signed Nalis (probably on half decent wages) and his legs have gone. So there has been a waste, its not as if we havnt spent.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:45:47 »

I wouldn't disagree. But that wasn't what most people started out saying at the start of the season, which was my point.

The bookies didn't think so.  I couldn't understand why the panic button wasn't hit after six weeks of Malpas.  The guy was delusional, and had already nearly destroyed Motherwell.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:47:32 »

Ardiles, in the summer we payed around £70,000 for a total waste of money called Yinka Casal. We also signed Nalis (probably on half decent wages) and his legs have gone. So there has been a waste, its not as if we havnt spent.

All true.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:50:00 »

All true.

If Wilson hadn't shown up Manky was heading for the scrap heap.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:51:18 »

We didnt spot it Paul, Malpas didnt spot it, but I think a decent manager (like Wilson) Would have spotted it.
Yes and that's where the board did go wrong but I don't know that I'd necessarily expect the board to spot the team wasn't good enough having got that wrong. Any board has to rely on the advice of the manager they've appointed.
The bookies also spotted it, they all had us down as the 5th worst team in the league.
They also offered 50-1 on Cox being top scorer and at least one, IIRC paddy power, was offering 25-1 on Tommy "Playing in Spain this season" Mooney being top scorer. I still maintain that at this level most of the pundits and the bookies do little more than look at "Big club/money to spend = will go up; Smaller club/financial trouble=will struggle" then stick a pin in the board for most of the rest.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:55:11 »

Byrne didn't have much to say.  Glitch , bad day at the office, will prepare for the next game.

Wilson must have told him to clam up.

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:58:06 »

we were due a defeat and today we got it.
a mass clear out is required regardless of todays result.
fitton has ballsed up with the season tickets for next season. so i expect him to say funds will be limited due to low season ticket sales.
we are shit and will be for the forseable future
Spencer_White

« Reply #284 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:58:56 »

The bookies didn't think so.  I couldn't understand why the panic button wasn't hit after six weeks of Malpas.  The guy was delusional, and had already nearly destroyed Motherwell.

It wasnt even the first time the team had looked totally destroyed on his watch.

They were an utter shambles just 5 weeks after he took over at home to Walsall, the team had been totally ruined.

The board ejected him because of the lost revenue from defeats in cup competitions. But that pressure should have been put on by fans not turning up for league games. We were played off the park at home in successive weeks, had a captain who said he was 'scared' to play at home. If that had happened in other seasons we would have dropped to the 5,000 fans mark, and it would have put pressure on from the top. As it was no pressure was exerted and we slid further into the shit.

The board are clever to see that season tickets are a way to avoid being held hostage by the fans. But in this case the fans were 100% right and the board were wrong.

Paul, if Cox was 50-1 that was very early in the summer. By the time I went to put a bet on he was 16-1 and I didnt think it was worth it!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: