Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Southend v Swindon Town offical matchday thread  (Read 30282 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 16:01:55 »

Barnsley were in 19th place after 30 matches when they brought in Johnson as manager 25th Feb and then went on a good run and still won the play offs.

Sheff Utd's run started a few weeks into Nigel Cloughs new reign as manager too, so theres history of teams changing manager and changing fortunes from our position.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 16:03:49 »

Fair points. Can't see it, but I doubt their fans did either.

What was Sheff U's catalyst for that run? Barnsley changed manager didn't they?

Barnsley changed because Johnson moved on somewhere, taking a step down the pyramid.. Barnsley's rise was unusual, they beat us somewhat fortuitously right at the end of Jan, we'd been above them the week before.

Think their poor spell coincided with Sam Winnall, enduring a drought once he got going in they were flying.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 16:10:34 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
adje

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 16:06:35 »

I suspect we are likely to be torn a new one.... two half decent strikers against our defence plus having to play twice in 4 days, its likely to be like lambs to the slaughter!

I know they make our strikers look inadequate and they haven't played against our "defence" yet, but 6 goals between them is hardly prolific

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 16:20:12 »

Over half of Cox and Ranger's career goals came in the seasons they played for us.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 16:31:39 »

I do feel a bit sorry for Norris and Delf.....STFC, whilst not quite every single season have been defined by its goalscorers down the years back to the days of Fleming through to Morris, and onto most recently Ajose. Simon Cox was a classic of the type, banged them in for Town, found it a bit more difficult elsewhere. The advantage for fans of having a goalscorer, is the prospect of jumping up and down a bit, even if you don't win... and occasionally you get to see something memorable. These fellas enter the pantheon of heroes......back in the summer I did a quiz, SSP was sat at the next table...very distracting. Probably not as bad as a fit bird, but I loved watching the fella play.

We've had a good few in my time, back to Bronco Layne, poor old N and D, it just makes them look worse.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:06:14 »

Big game for Branco tonight.
Overlooked for the captaincy, but needs to step up and show some leadership in that defence.
If he needs to resort to the dark arts then fine by me, just don't make it too obvious.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Panda Paws

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:15:04 »

Which of the dark arts would you like him to resort to? A forearm smash? Falling asleep as Ranger strolls past him? Wandering aimless upfield? Booting the ball aimlessly out for a throw? I'd suggest you'll be sure to get at least 3 of those...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:21:04 »

Does it really matter that much if we go down? I'd rather be competitive in L2 than scrapping to stay in L1 every season. I know there's no guarantee that we wouldn't also be crap in L2, but playing Orient instead of Millwall, or Morecambe instead of Fleetwood that different.

Sure, we'll take an ego hit but it's not as if we haven't done it before.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:32:31 »

Does it really matter that much if we go down? I'd rather be competitive in L2 than scrapping to stay in L1 every season. I know there's no guarantee that we wouldn't also be crap in L2, but playing Orient instead of Millwall, or Morecambe instead of Fleetwood that different.

It's a fair point except that as you noted there is no guarantee that we wouldn't be crap there as well.  The big advantage of Div 3 over Div 4 is that you can't drop out of the league on the back of one dreadful season.

Another frightening thought is that we're only 2 months away from having to play Oxford again.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:32:42 »

That's true. Also, when I remember us being good in the past, it has stemmed from building momentum from the old 4th division and moving forward.

However, the down side to your argument is that we currently might not be competitive in L2. Its a huge step dropping from L2 into the Conference and a slippery slope to oblivion!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:36:00 »

Is anyone returning tonight?Thompson,Kasim?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:51:27 »

No on both counts.

Here's a rather oddish stat. In our last 32 home games we have only drawn 4. Those odd points here and there can be vital when battling relegation.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:53:52 »

Oh well,not that they would have made too much difference

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:55:46 »

Of course it matters you fucking bellend.

Massive assumptions being made against being competitive. Have Oxford, Rovers and Tranmere taught you nothing.

Disillusioned fans are already starting to drift. Imagine what dropping to league 2 would do.

As for your point on previous visits to div 4, irrelevant. Even Wills spent his way back (Wise/Sturrock) and PDCs spending needs no explanation. Do you honestly think we'd do it again?

Ridiculous.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 18:00:51 »

My point was a preference for being competitive in a lower league than forever struggling in the present one.

Nothing else. As I said there's no guarantee we'd be any better in L2 but that wasn't my main point.

Twat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: