Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe United FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40136 times)
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #285 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 13:07:14 »

Anyone who was scared by that has lived an extremely sheltered life. I just walked through it.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 13:35:53 »

I doubt it. Of the top 6 sides (excluding us obviously)

Doncaster beat us at their place under KMac - Managed a draw at the CG under PDC
Bournemouth drew at home - lost heavily at the CG (both under PDC)
Brentford beat us at their place under KMac and beat us at the CG under PDC
We beat Yeovil home and away under PDC and KMac respectively
Sheff U beat us at Bramall Lane under KMac and drew at the CG under PDC
Orient got a draw at home and beat us at the CG both under PDC

So 8 games against those sides with PDC, (6 at home, just 2 away) with 2 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats
4 under Kmac - (all away) with 1 win and 3 defeats.

That does look like a bit of a dip in form, but if you look at the games Kmac lost away, Sheff, Doncaster and Brentford, we didn't exactly shine at home against them, losing to Brentford, drawing to Sheffield and Donny.

That top 6 is not the same as the top 6 Di Canio faced when in charge.

Tranmere were comfortably 1st and Stevenage comfortably 2nd in the table (and unbeaten at home in the FL) when we thumped them 5-0 and 4-0 respectively, and teams like Crawley and Franchise (who we beat 3-0 and 1-0 in our opening home fixtures) were also entrenched in the top 6 early on.

I think the only top 6 team we lost to contemporary to the time was Brentford.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 14:17:48 »

That top 6 is not the same as the top 6 Di Canio faced when in charge.

Tranmere were comfortably 1st and Stevenage comfortably 2nd in the table (and unbeaten at home in the FL) when we thumped them 5-0 and 4-0 respectively, and teams like Crawley and Franchise (who we beat 3-0 and 1-0 in our opening home fixtures) were also entrenched in the top 6 early on.

I think the only top 6 team we lost to contemporary to the time was Brentford.

I know, I thought about looking at the sides that were near the top at the time we played them, but finishing position is a much better measure of who the better sides in the division are. Anyone can be top of the league from August to October, depending on how the fixtures fall. Doesn't make you a good side.

You can't properly compare how PDC did against some shite side that finished 18th but happened to be 2nd after 6/7 games with how KMac did against a side that finished 2 after 46 games can you?

..never go back.
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #288 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 14:18:36 »

Di Canio was the best manager we ever had Lumps.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 14:45:02 »

Not been supporting the club long then? And not that interested in the clubs history either clearly. "Ever" is a fucking long time for a club formed in 1879.

Sam Allen - 2 Southern League titles, 3 x SL runner up - 2 FA cup semi-finals
Danny Williams - Promotion to the 2nd Division and League Cup Double
Lou Macari - 4th Div Champion, 3rd Division Play-off winner, 2nd Division play-off semi-finalists in successive seasons
Ossie Ardiles - 2nd Division play-off winner
Glenn Hoddle - 2nd Division play-off winner

PDC might just scrape into the top 6. No bollocks I think Bert Head probably deserves it more having built the side that brought through Summerbee, Trollope, Hunt, Rogers and Smart.

Best ever. Not by a fucking long way

..never go back.
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #290 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:12:34 »

You watching the Villa Sunderland game tonight?
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:16:51 »

Yes he was.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:17:43 »

You watching the Villa Sunderland game tonight?

Didn't even know it was on. Sort of lost interest in Prem football a few years ago. Results too predictable.

..never go back.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:19:49 »

Hahahahahahahaha!

Good one.

It's All Good..............
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:22:25 »

Didn't even know it was on. Sort of lost interest in Prem football a few years ago. Results too predictable.

on the phone to paddy power now, whats the score tonight please monkey?
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:31:29 »

on the phone to paddy power now, whats the score tonight please monkey?

Kind of meant the overall league rather than individual games. Someone from London or Manchester will win the league. 5 other incredibly wealthy teams I have no interest in will be squabbling at the top of the table over the remaining CL places.

Only the relegation fight has any variety from year to year and who but fans of the clubs involved can get excited by that.

..never go back.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:36:18 »

Bravo, Bravo.

You fell for that Lumpy.
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:53:11 »

Glenn Hoddle - 2nd Division play-off winner

Sorry to be pedantic, but it was: Glenn Hoddle - 1st Division play-off winner

Truly awesome game. I loved PDCs tenure as much as anyone, but there's no way PDC taking us from L2 to L1 can compare to GH taking us into the Premiership. Not to mention all the other exploits dalumpimunki listed from various managers.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:56:21 »

Sorry to be pedantic, but it was: Glenn Hoddle - 1st Division play-off winner

Truly awesome game. I loved PDCs tenure as much as anyone, but there's no way PDC taking us from L2 to L1 can compare to GH taking us into the Premiership. Not to mention all the other exploits dalumpimunki listed from various managers.

I know, I just thought in a list like that it was easier to just use the old division descriptions, to stop it being confusing.

..never go back.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 16:15:25 »

I know, I thought about looking at the sides that were near the top at the time we played them, but finishing position is a much better measure of who the better sides in the division are. Anyone can be top of the league from August to October, depending on how the fixtures fall. Doesn't make you a good side.

You can't properly compare how PDC did against some shite side that finished 18th but happened to be 2nd after 6/7 games with how KMac did against a side that finished 2 after 46 games can you?

By that system of measurement the Bournemouth, Yeovil, Walsall, and Leyton Orient teams from the first half of the season (who were all embroiled in relegation battles) are given equal weight of difficulty to face as the Bournemouth, Yeovil, Walsall, and Leyton Orient teams from the second half of the season (who were all vying for promotion and among the top form sides in the divison).

Surely you can see the flaw in using only the final league positions, irrespective of the variable form of these teams throughout the season, as the system of comparison?
« Last Edit: Monday, April 29, 2013, 16:17:03 by BruceChatwin » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: