Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe United FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40137 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:22:23 »

Sonic makes a general point about performance over the period prior to and after PDC left. He implied that the difference in the points per game accrued over 3/4's of a season and over the last dozen games was about the change in manager.
I didn't imply that at all.

My post was a overly simplistic response to the few on here who made an equally simplistic claim that if Di Canio had never left we would have been nailed on for promotion. I just happened to fuck up the maths while I was at it.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:28:55 »

As to whether the Scunthorpe result would have happened under PDC who the fuck knows?

I do know, however, that we only conceded three goals in the last 15 minutes plus injury time of league games away from home during his entire time in charge.

I know you fucking hate him, but he was a good manager. And to admit this fact is not necessarily to denigrate the current incumbent.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:33:13 »

When you look at the results over the season, that seems to be because we've properly hammered a lot of not very good sides, (as well as a couple of decent ones in Tranmere, and Muff), but haven't done that great home or away against most of the top sides. That's cost us in the end.

I thought we had the best record against top 6 sides in the division before Kmac came in?  Hmmm

While we shouldn't simplify the Di Canio v Kmac eras to PPG due to the extraneous circumstances you've mentioned, we equally shouldn't simplify the worse return in PPG as resulting from the sum of those extraneous circumstances only.

There are clear tactical differences: formation change, defensive line, work rate; that haven't worked, and have contributed as much to the dip in form as the loss of any player.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:33:42 »

I didn't imply that at all.
My post was a overly simplistic response to the few on here who made an equally simplistic claim that if Di Canio had never left we would have been nailed on for promotion. I just happened to fuck up the maths while I was at it.

Then I can only apologise. The "you can all draw your own conclusions from that" closer had me fooled, as it's the sort of line people use when they're being a smart arse and implying that the conclusion to be drawn is obvious.

I hadn't realised that you literally meant "there's the numbers make of it what you want".

Sorry Embarrassed

..never go back.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:41:18 »

I thought we had the best record against top 6 sides in the division before Kmac came in?  Hmmm

While we shouldn't simplify the Di Canio v Kmac eras to PPG due to the extraneous circumstances you've mentioned, we equally shouldn't simplify the worse return in PPG as resulting from the sum of those extraneous circumstances only.

There are clear tactical differences: formation change, defensive line, work rate; that haven't worked, and have contributed as much to the dip in form as the loss of any player.

True, and your comments about the change in the defensive line in the other thread is pretty much spot on. I think some of the other criticism around formation and player position are maybe a bit unfair. The "See I told you. You should have played Devera and moved Macca into midfield 3 games ago" comments are easy to make when you don't see the players in training and have a clear picture of their level of fitness. I'm pretty sure that Devera played as soon as Mac thought he could get through 90 minutes.

And you have to allow for a new manager to get to know the team. We all know PDC's first 10 games included 5 defeats after all.

..never go back.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:45:02 »

I do know, however, that we only conceded three goals in the last 15 minutes plus injury time of league games away from home during his entire time in charge.

I know you fucking hate him, but he was a good manager. And to admit this fact is not necessarily to denigrate the current incumbent.

I don't hate him (don't know him), I hate some of the things he believes in. And I've been pretty clear on several threads that I think he did a good job managing the side.

..never go back.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:59:01 »

Then I can only apologise. The "you can all draw your own conclusions from that" closer had me fooled, as it's the sort of line people use when they're being a smart arse and implying that the conclusion to be drawn is obvious.

I hadn't realised that you literally meant "there's the numbers make of it what you want".

Sorry Embarrassed
[url width=235 height=240]http://i.imgur.com/ZbZlCgw.gif[/url]
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 11:27:37 »

Oh for fuck sake! What is your point here Reg?

My point is I don't think you should be calling into question the numerical intelligence of SY, in quite such a Govian fashion. After all SY has previously displayed the characteristics of dyscalculia, when the scoreboard operator.

dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 11:37:18 »

My point is I don't think you should be calling into question the numerical intelligence of SY, in quite such a Govian fashion. After all SY has previously displayed the characteristics of dyscalculia, when the scoreboard operator.

I'd forgotten about that! You're right. Shouldn't mock the innumerate.

But I was really referring to you're segue into a critique of the last 10 minutes are Scunny, which kind of wasn't the subject I was commenting on.

..never go back.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 11:50:33 »

Here are some of the scenes recorded by a scunny fan.. Shocking scenes!

There were two couples next to me, both of the guys had brought their Mrs' and they were scared shitless!

This is much how I visualised what was said on the Dostoyevsky thread on Saturday night.
kerry red

« Reply #280 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 12:07:37 »

I'm sorry, but if anyone was scared shitless by that they must have a low shitless threshold.

I've crapped scarier stuff than that
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 12:12:04 »

That's what I was thinking, shouting and standing around at football matches, who'd have thought it  No
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #282 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 12:19:33 »

Its amazing how times have changed. That would have been regarded as extremely mild back in the 70s even if there were no police / stewards.
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 12:43:54 »

Its amazing how times have changed. That would have been regarded as extremely mild back in the 70s even if there were no police / stewards.

In fairness, the videos don't seem to show the worst of it - there were definitely some punches thrown and batons swung - although I take your point that the events of saturday would be regarded as mild in a 1970s context.

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 12:45:21 »

I doubt it. Of the top 6 sides (excluding us obviously)

Doncaster beat us at their place under KMac - Managed a draw at the CG under PDC
Bournemouth drew at home - lost heavily at the CG (both under PDC)
Brentford beat us at their place under KMac and beat us at the CG under PDC
We beat Yeovil home and away under PDC and KMac respectively
Sheff U beat us at Bramall Lane under KMac and drew at the CG under PDC
Orient got a draw at home and beat us at the CG both under PDC

So 8 games against those sides with PDC, (6 at home, just 2 away) with 2 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats
4 under Kmac - (all away) with 1 win and 3 defeats.

That does look like a bit of a dip in form, but if you look at the games Kmac lost away, Sheff, Doncaster and Brentford, we didn't exactly shine at home against them, losing to Brentford, drawing to Sheffield and Donny.

..never go back.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: