Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: showers  (Read 7990 times)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 20:25:03 »

hello wise TEFers,

i am bored of buying electric showers, only for them their inners to get limescaley and eventually break, however am concerned at the other option. as i see it i have the following:

1) buy another one each year
2) pay someone to "plumb" the  water from the combi boiler less than a metre from the currently knackered shower (conveniently over the bath)
3) buy another one each year and buy some sort of miracle "fuck off limescale/hardness" potion, or something along those lines.

does anyone have a better idea? ideally i'd like to maintain some form of hygiene so not showering isn't an option really.

thanks in advance gang!

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 20:28:56 »

As long as you have a decent combi boiler, I'd recommend getting the piping straight to the shower.

Obviously you might have to dig the tiles off the wall, but it's worth it in the long run! :-)
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 20:28:56 »

Install a water softener.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 20:33:07 »

my pal in the same block of flats installed a water softener at great expense, it never worked...

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 20:57:34 »

I would suggest a hot feed from the combi if it's That close, there will obviously be a cold feed into the combi so shouldnt be to big a job for a plumber to plumb in. I got fed up replacing electric showers every 18 months or so because of scaling but if you do choose the electric shower option it's not worth paying any more than £70/80. Does the main cold feed into the combi have a softener fitted?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 10:09:57 »

I paid a bit extra for a decent Mira shower. Given no hassle for over 2 years. used daily in a house of four
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 06:28:08 »

thanks gang

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:57:41 »

Just had a new shower fitted that works off the combi but was re-doing the bathroom completely so it made sense. Had 3 electric showers over 12 years or so and the efficiency definitely deteriorates over time and it is a pain having to re-connect the fittings. Plus the power usage of an electric shower is fairly high although if only used for short spells probably does not really matter that much.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:05:06 »

I paid a bit extra for a decent Mira shower. Given no hassle for over 2 years. used daily in a house of four
Ditto

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 17:34:28 »

Was it one of these:
http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/detail.htm?productNumber=Alero%20(9.8kW)&section=New%20products&resultPageKey=16111944-0&category=

if so what's it been like? (We've just had one fitted to the shower room in our new loft refit)

For NMH I agree with everyone else, we've got plumber in showers run of the combi in the main bathroom and the downstairs shower room and both are brilliant. If you've got decent mains pressure they're better than electric.

..never go back.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 17:58:20 »

I don't think you meant me. But we have these two in our house:

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/compare.htm?section=Mixer%20showers

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 18:07:41 »

I don't think you meant me. But we have these two in our house:

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/compare.htm?section=Mixer%20showers

I didn't, I mean't bennet, but for some reason thought you's started the thread. I'm getting old. I can't be expected to remember details like that all the way tot he bottom of a page.

..never go back.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 18:18:21 »

Mine is a Mira sport electric shower.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 18:39:17 »

This thread is full of manliness.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 20:49:27 »

Mine is a Mira sport electric shower.
The Mira Sport showers are really good. Anyone with Electric showers, If you take the shower head off at least once a week and turn the dial to cold you'll be suprised how much lime scale & gunk you can flush out through the hose especially if you don't have a softener on the cold mains.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: