Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FAO: Stargazers.  (Read 6451 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #15 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 17:58:29 »

BR I remember Halle Bopp....97 was it. I was about as excited as I can get, I'd always wanted to see a decent comet since I was a kid. A visible to the naked eye no mistaking it for something else sort. 

I remember being at my Aunt's for tea and it was on the news and stuff that you could see it.

I was not gonna bother looking cos' I thought it would be a telescope job, yet I step of my Aunt's front door to go home, glance upwards and there it was as clear as day.
flammableBen

« Reply #16 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 18:05:47 »

I once went out on the piss with aliens from the Crab Nebula. They were ace, really new how to party and we were having a super great time until the whiny boring aliens from the Horsehead Nebula had to ruin everybody's fun with their complaining. Horsehead Nebula aliens suck.
flammableBen

« Reply #17 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 18:07:19 »

Interesting Facts About flammableBen

Fact 57: flammableBen has a GCSE in Astronomy!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 18:08:55 »

Interesting Facts About flammableBen

Fact 57: flammableBen has a GCSE in Astronomy!

That is interesting fB...where and when did you obtain said certificate?
flammableBen

« Reply #19 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 18:11:10 »

'tis a secret.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 18:15:34 »

'tis a secret.

Fair enough....I've always had an interest in Astronomy, but it was never an option at school, so I never bothered with pursuing it as a field of study.  Subsequently, I got hacked off with all formal learning, so never considered doing it, as an evening class or similar.

What fields of the subject do you cover?
flammableBen

« Reply #21 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 18:18:11 »

Nah it's not really a secret. One of they years I was at New College doing A-Levels I had a big gap in my timetable between 9'am for an hour and 1pm on Tuesdays. I'm guessing it was the first year, because I must have been on some sort of idea that I was going to go to things. My Physics teacher at the time was seeing if anybody wanted to do some Astronomy, I had nothing on at that time so I figured I might as well. The GCSE's were a bit of an afterthought I think, figured that we might as well do the exams. I think I only got a D.

I don't really remember much of it to be honest. Covered a big range from constellations to more sciency stuff like measuring distance to starts, the red and blue shift thingies in light when things are moving away/towards you, Loads and loads of shit that I can't remember.

Oh yeah built a telescope out of cardboard tubes too. Good times.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 18:36:45 »

Nah it's not really a secret. One of they years I was at New College doing A-Levels I had a big gap in my timetable between 9'am for an hour and 1pm on Tuesdays. I'm guessing it was the first year, because I must have been on some sort of idea that I was going to go to things. My Physics teacher at the time was seeing if anybody wanted to do some Astronomy, I had nothing on at that time so I figured I might as well. The GCSE's were a bit of an afterthought I think, figured that we might as well do the exams. I think I only got a D.

I don't really remember much of it to be honest. Covered a big range from constellations to more sciency stuff like measuring distance to starts, the red and blue shift thingies in light when things are moving away/towards you, Loads and loads of shit that I can't remember.

Oh yeah built a telescope out of cardboard tubes too. Good times.

Ace...you must have been quite the nerd, once upon a time.  I tried to build a telescope when aged about 11, out of cardboard tubes and old spectacle lenses.

Problem was that back then cardboard tubes were quite difficult to come by as packaging in general was pretty basic....as were spectacle lenses, as everything was just NHS pebble glass issue...the lenses didn't fit the tubes, and not being a persevering type, I gave up.
flammableBen

« Reply #23 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 18:53:24 »

I'm not sure I ever finished my telescope, think it might have been around the time I was losing interests and spending more time in pubs. I remember something about things being upside down through it because of the lenses.

Learning new things used to be so much easier when I was younger. I don't have the concentration anymore. Meh.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 19:01:51 »

I'm not sure I ever finished my telescope, think it might have been around the time I was losing interests and spending more time in pubs. I remember something about things being upside down through it because of the lenses.

Learning new things used to be so much easier when I was younger. I don't have the concentration anymore. Meh.

You think you've got problems at 23  Wink  try being 43...
flammableBen

« Reply #25 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 19:04:17 »

I'm 24 and a half. I lost a year. Sad
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 19:37:30 »

I'm 24 and a half. I lost a year. Sad

And me...not sure which one though.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 20:44:28 »

I saw a massive meteor storm in me back garden (in North Swindon) a few years ago - no other fucker did - rang up Jodrell Bank and they said I was really lucky to see one and they hadn't noticed it.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 20:56:35 »

I think you imagined it

Things get better but they never get good
land_of_bo

« Reply #29 on: Monday, December 1, 2008, 22:40:47 »

I was in Thailand then yeah, although I saw no meteor storm. Probably on account of me being in a big city an not an Island (Light pollution and all that)

Seems I was lucky to catch it

http://www.siamweb.org/content/News-Culture/209/index_eng.php

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: