Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1990593 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #2310 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 14:22:53 »

No need to bring the Catholic Church into this....and seeing as we're on the subject, how many managers are Muslim? How many managers are gay? How many managers are women? How many managers are disabled? How many managers are gay, disabled Muslim women?
Nowhere near enough Reg, that's how many  No
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #2311 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 14:27:55 »

No need to bring the Catholic Church into this....and seeing as we're on the subject, how many managers are Muslim? How many managers are gay? How many managers are women? How many managers are disabled? How many managers are gay, disabled Muslim women?

I wonder how many white, English, males are managers in England? I'd guess a far smaller percentage than players.

It always annoys me when people play the percentage game over these issues. Saying there are a certain percentage of black players so there should be a similar percentage of black managers through some kind of quota system, which misses the underlying issues that could be causing the disparity.

Some of the stats I've seen suggest there is an issue with coaching - not as many black players training as coaches, which could explain less becoming managers. Why not address that issue first before implementing a quota system?

What is being suggested at present is pretty much accusing the club directors of being racist.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2312 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 14:35:43 »

I wonder how many white, English, males are managers in England? I'd guess a far smaller percentage than players.

It always annoys me when people play the percentage game over these issues. Saying there are a certain percentage of black players so there should be a similar percentage of black managers through some kind of quota system, which misses the underlying issues that could be causing the disparity.

Some of the stats I've seen suggest there is an issue with coaching - not as many black players training as coaches, which could explain less becoming managers. Why not address that issue first before implementing a quota system?

What is being suggested at present is pretty much accusing the club directors of being racist.

8/20 in the Prem, which I make to be 40%, at the last count I think the English qualified players were around 35%, so a reasonably close correlation.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 14:45:28 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #2313 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 14:41:38 »

And what about blubber arses representation? I can only think of porky Evans. Outrageous discrimination.
kerry red

« Reply #2314 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 15:04:25 »

Unless anybody knows for sure how many black applicants there are everything else is supposition.

There is the possibility that a lot of black ex players just don't fancy it for whatever reasons
Stevens

« Reply #2315 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 16:37:44 »

Oh I've seen racism at every level. I've seen it directed at a family member aged 11 playing football, so don't think I don't know what can happen. I have just seen absolutely no evidence that managers are being turned away BECAUSE they are black. I'm pretty sure it was Collymore who ignited this debate (again) after Powell was sacked by Charlton. The sacking was unfair, but it wasn't because of his colour, yet just because he was black an unneccessary race issue was brought up.

I'm not an insider by any means, and I know that racism is (unfortunately) still an issue in this country, but I just don't believe and have seen absolutely no convincing arguments (and believe me, I've looked) that suggest that this is the case. I just don't see why ANYONE would appoint a white coach over a black coach if they thought the black coach was better suited. Maybe that's me being naive. I just have a strong feeling that making up an issue harms the cause, and that's what frustrates me.

I believe you are being naive Tails, I have also seen terrible racist abuse at very young foot ball games, some people are just well racist.

How many black chairman are there in the football league? And I do not know the figure by the way.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #2316 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 17:58:31 »

Taking statistics on how many black people apply for jobs is not the way to do it though, as it points them out (intentionally or not) as 'different'.

People are people, that's the only way to look at it, and pointing stuff out about race etc. is not helping (hence my personal disappointment and annoyance at bodies like the Society of Black Lawyers and so on - fighting for equality whilst not practising it themselves). Is Person A more suitable than Person B? Yes or No?

I think any kind of quota system for racial equality in workplaces is self defeating (although I don't think anyone actually said it should be used). Issues need to be addressed at a lower level than who's being hired or not. Forcing a workplace to hire people because of the colour of their skin is as bad, to me, as people not hiring because of the colour of an applicant's skin.

You don't create equality by pointing out what the differences are between different people.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2317 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 18:48:26 »

Taking statistics on how many black people apply for jobs is not the way to do it though, as it points them out (intentionally or not) as 'different'.

People are people, that's the only way to look at it, and pointing stuff out about race etc. is not helping (hence my personal disappointment and annoyance at bodies like the Society of Black Lawyers and so on - fighting for equality whilst not practising it themselves). Is Person A more suitable than Person B? Yes or No?

I think any kind of quota system for racial equality in workplaces is self defeating (although I don't think anyone actually said it should be used). Issues need to be addressed at a lower level than who's being hired or not. Forcing a workplace to hire people because of the colour of their skin is as bad, to me, as people not hiring because of the colour of an applicant's skin.

You don't create equality by pointing out what the differences are between different people.

OK Honky.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #2318 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 20:38:25 »

So has Slade left Orient/gone to Cardiff yet? 

#VivaKenBarlow!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #2319 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 21:36:37 »

OK Honky.

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #2320 on: Friday, September 26, 2014, 12:13:43 »

So has Slade left Orient/gone to Cardiff yet? 

Put in his resignation at Orient after Cardiff approached Orient a number of times to be told you cant have him he has another game to lose before we sack him.

Been seen at Cardiff training ground but not allowed to take over until his resignation is accepted, and compensation agreed, which you would suspect Orient will play hard ball, as for whatever reason they didn't want to release him.

Not sure what Cardiff see in Slade, yes he has done well at L1 level and is a bit of a journeyman of the lower league, why has he not been snapped up before ?

I wonder what makes him the standout candidate, no championship experience and no premiership experience which is where Cardiff want to get back to, I'd say it is along the same risk as they took appointing Solskaer, Good luck to him, either way he will be quids in.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #2321 on: Friday, September 26, 2014, 12:19:36 »

Don't forget the Vincent Tan factor...

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2322 on: Friday, September 26, 2014, 12:22:05 »

Well he's white for a start.  Sofa

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #2323 on: Friday, September 26, 2014, 12:29:06 »

Clap
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #2324 on: Friday, September 26, 2014, 18:26:12 »

I don't think he has any plans to change it, though.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: