Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DSLR Camera  (Read 19387 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 16:10:41 »

I guess that's this one.
If it stays under £200 i'll be amazed, but worth keeping an eye on though!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 19:47:19 »

Interesting thread chaps,i have taken hundreds of photo's this year on my travels....a decent camera is a must next year.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 21:51:11 »

I guess that's this one.
If it stays under £200 i'll be amazed, but worth keeping an eye on though!
Went for £220 in the end, that included the kit lens and a Sigma 55-200 zoom. I'd be well chuffed if I'd paid just over 200 quid for that bundle. Think I'll stick with the plan though and hope a glut of post-Christmas clearouts will drive prices down further/keep them down to this sort of level in the New Year
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 22:07:25 »

You should be able to pick up a second hand Nikon D3100 for around that price after Chrimbo. New ones have been retailing for around £300 so those upgrading for better models will probably start offloading in January.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 09:11:21 »

Oooh, cheers Samdy. Why the Nikon rather than the Canon? Just newer/more MP or is there some other major advantage?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 09:15:59 »

There's not much difference between the lower end Nikon and Canon models. The main one is that Canon's have the focus motor built into the body and the Nikon doesn't (it's in the lens). So with Canon you get more freedom as to what lens you can use with it, whereas with Nikon if you want AF you have to buy specific (newer) lenses.
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 10:25:54 »

I've just bought a new Nikon D5100 and, as Samdy says, the technical differences between the same level of camera from either Nikon or Canon are not very significant, any modern-ish DSLR will take brilliant photos for most amateur users.

There are a couple of things I would consider when choosing between Nikon or Canon, firstly do you already own any lenses that could be used? If you already have a lens or two, maybe from an old film camera, then that's a very good reason to go with that manufacturer.

Secondly, and importantly, Nikons and Canons feel physically quite different to hold, and the layout of their buttons and menu systems are different. There's no correct answer as to which feels better, it's purely a matter of personal preference. Given that the idea of a DSLR is to allow you to take lots of great photos then I think the better a camera feels to you personally the more likely you are to be comfortable using it.

I'd recommend, if you possibly can, to try to get hold of the Canon you're considering buying and play with it for a few minutes, and maybe a similar model from Nikon (a D3100 for example) just so that you're happy you're getting the right camera for your needs. Any camera shop or department store should be happy to let you have a play with the camera instore.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:15:51 »

Cheers Samdy, Aldbourne and yes def plan to have a play before buying. Some friends of ours have a Canon 300D (I think) and they get smashing pictures from that which is what pointed us in that direction, and the missus is going to have a play with that this weekend to see if she's happy with the (hopefully) fairly similar model.

I do have an old zoom lens as well but it's on a 20-year old 35mm Pentax, not sure what if anything that would still fit (or even if it still works!), but it's a consideration I hadn't thought of actually so will check that out too.
hobodan

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 15:56:52 »

Paul
Unless you are wanting to print above A3 or buy into a system and are sure you will want other lenses in the future then I would also take some compact cameras into consideration.

You can get a fuji x10 for well under £300, it's a great little camera that produces excellent image quality. I own a Nikon d7000 with various lenses & I will be purchasing the fuji in the future as a take anywhere camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10

Or if you're not into the retro look of the fuji then the Sony RX100 is also a good alternative for a larger sensor compact

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

red socks

« Reply #129 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 16:15:03 »

You should be able to pick up a second hand Nikon D3100 for around that price after Chrimbo. New ones have been retailing for around £300 so those upgrading for better models will probably start offloading in January.

About £250 new now with Nikon Christmas cash back....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 16:27:00 »

Paul
Unless you are wanting to print above A3 or buy into a system and are sure you will want other lenses in the future then I would also take some compact cameras into consideration.

You can get a fuji x10 for well under £300, it's a great little camera that produces excellent image quality. I own a Nikon d7000 with various lenses & I will be purchasing the fuji in the future as a take anywhere camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10

Or if you're not into the retro look of the fuji then the Sony RX100 is also a good alternative for a larger sensor compact

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

Cheers. Or not actually. I'm more confused than ever now Smiley
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 16:58:59 »

About £250 new now with Nikon Christmas cash back....

That's exactly why I bought one last week. With topcashback it comes in at £215. Smiley
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Monday, December 17, 2012, 12:30:15 »

Simular to Paul D I'm also wanting to purchase a new camera I'm not into photography mainly taking pictures at concerts, holiday snaps, the kid(s) etc etc so nothing really special but the one we have has a crap shutter speed (click and wait about 40 seconds to take again) so am thinking about a DSLR which is obviously going to be better, I'd like a decent zoom and perhaps one that can be upgraded with better lenses in the future, probably look to spend up to £200 (hopefully get something in January sales) any recomendations on what to look at ?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Monday, December 17, 2012, 12:44:42 »

That's pretty much what I'm after p2p so I guess the same recommendations would apply
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Monday, December 17, 2012, 13:05:04 »

What about a DMR camera.

Tough, no nonsense and gets results  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: