Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HD through a standard aerial?  (Read 3490 times)
oxford_fan

Ignore
« on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 19:44:34 »

In my bedroom I've got a Samsung HD tv with built-in (standard, non-HD) freeview which I've been using fine for a couple of years now. I get a good picture even through my very budget £5 aerial from Argos. Ideally I'd like to get HD on there, but can I do it through my current set-up (the shit but currently effective aerial)? There's no connection from the big aerial on our roof into my room, and I don't want to faff around running wires around and drilling holes.

I was looking at this little box from Amazon which seems as though it would do the job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/i-Can-GBR2851T-Freeview-Digital-Receiver/dp/B00524YSYS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Though if that will work then I would be tempted to go for one of the recording jobbies.

Can it be done, TEF?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 19:52:45 »

If SD freeview works then so will HD
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 20:06:48 »

Yeah, you just need an HD tuner.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:15:46 »

Great, I've ordered it. Thank you.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 27, 2012, 18:32:49 »

It works! Kind of wish I'd gone for a recorder one now.

Muchos gracias Si and Samdy.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 18:13:44 »

Top Up TV is a load of fucking shite. Does anyone else use it to get Sky Sports? I've subscribed but between Top Up TV and my i-Can box I have received naff all so far.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 18:37:18 »

Top Up TV is a load of fucking shite. Does anyone else use it to get Sky Sports? I've subscribed but between Top Up TV and my i-Can box I have received naff all so far.

I used to have it before i got sky, youre right it is shit.

Do the channels only run certain hours of the day still?
stfcinbmth

« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 18:40:42 »

Do you still have to use a CAM for Top Up Tv
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 18:49:19 »

What's a CAM? I'm getting Freeview HD channels through this i-Can box which works fine.

It's just SS1 I subscribed to through Top Up TV and a viewing card they've sent out to me which plugs into the front of the box.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 18:52:03 »

Have you tried updating the firmware? Hook it up to the internet and there should be an option to download the latest software.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 19:35:37 »

What's a CAM? I'm getting Freeview HD channels through this i-Can box which works fine.

It's just SS1 I subscribed to through Top Up TV and a viewing card they've sent out to me which plugs into the front of the box.

Conditional Access Module, used one on Top Up TV many years ago when it first started. It plugged into a slot in the back of the TV and you stuck your card into it. Guess it's now built in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TopUp-TV-Freeview-CAM-PCMCIA-adaptor-module-ESPN-digital-Sport-NEW-/261008185115?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Viewing_Cards&hash=item3cc54cd71b

Bit of a tangent here

If the phone hacking scandal wasn't bad enough, it appears Murdoch has also been implicated elsewhere

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/03/news-corp-hacked-itv-digital-out-of-business-in-the-uk-pay-tv-wars/

This wasn't the only one, also accused of hacking Nagravision

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2008/05/tarnovsky?currentPage=all
« Last Edit: Friday, May 4, 2012, 19:48:31 by stfcinbmth » Logged
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 7, 2012, 22:47:15 »

Have you tried updating the firmware? Hook it up to the internet and there should be an option to download the latest software.

Wahoo! Had to download a software update for the Freeview HD box and put it onto a USB to plug into it, tuned to Sky Sports and was able to watch West Ham vs Cardiff in my bedroom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: