Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Three up front next season?  (Read 2343 times)
Dazzza

« on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 17:19:31 »

Now that King's got potentially more strikers than I can shake a stick at I can see him going back to three up front which he does tend to favour when he has the right players.

Fallon, Cureton, Roberts, Thorpe, Caton and Shakes.  Add to that Igoe if he does eventually re-sign and we'll be playing like Ardiles's Tottenham of the 90's.

Don't want to sound greedy but I'd really like to see  left winger and solid midfielder.  The latter we have been missing for a long time and is a definate bonus at this level.  On the left the dream has to be young Lee Holmes with his addition and the potential of Shakes on the right we'd be quite simply different class.

Funny what an afternoon can bring in football.

unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 17:26:52 »

4-3-3 could work, but if we get in more midfielders I would prefer to see a 4-4-2
FlashGordon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 17:31:30 »

The winger situation i can see being solved by sticking Roberts out there, he isnt too bad a winger and king played him there before but hey gives us options attacking wise anyway!

Come on YOU REDS!
Barry Scott

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 17:56:17 »

I agree, if we get a solid midfielder and someone out of the lee holmes mould, or the man himself, then we'll be great.

From what i have read about shakes he will be the holmes equivilent on the right, supposed to be super quick and likes to run at players. So he could be a big fans favourite this season. I hope that Thorpe and Cureton can show the kind of form they used to display at this level, that would be amazing and could see 40 odd goals.

I'm inclinded to think that Thorpe would be better off with Roberts next to him as i feel they would compliment each other nicely. Saying that though, mooney and parkin were never a good strike partnership on paper.

I'm generally very happy about today.
kaufman

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 17:56:26 »

as king said he cant replace parkin with 1 striker so he has got 2 in who together can get 25 goals! i just think though that rory will be pissed off right now if both the strikers sign tommorow and he might ask for a transer!
good some may say but the problem we have is that the other strikers are not tall strikers!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 18:44:34 »

Quote from: "kaufman"
as king said he cant replace parkin with 1 striker so he has got 2 in who together can get 25 goals! i just think though that rory will be pissed off right now if both the strikers sign tommorow and he might ask for a transer!
good some may say but the problem we have is that the other strikers are not tall strikers!

I doubt that Thorpe and Cureton could play together....they're both lazy...more your goal hanging type.

Also they're both small, I'd have thought Fallon 's role becomes more important.
DMR

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 18:49:37 »

We'll have to go 4-3-3 the way it's looking

But are we tight anough at the back? I'm going to say fuck no
magnum150

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 20:09:50 »

I've never favoured 4-3-3 and neither do many others when you like at the formations you actually see on the pitch.

If King wants to put more upfront I would play 3-4-1-2 with whoever sitting off the front two, dropping back when req.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 20:59:19 »

I never know what formation we're playing - The players keep running around.

It's very confusing :|
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 21:06:20 »

I highly doubt it'll be 4-3-3, there will be a lot of competition for the two positions up front in a 4-4-2 formation though. Which is nice.
alex

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, June 30, 2005, 21:22:31 »

4-3-3 could work... do we have 3 midfielders though?!

If King brings in at least 3midfielders to play alongside Migs then I could see 4-3-3 working well. As has been mentioned though, a 4-4-2 would mean alot of competition up front which is not bad thing! would keep the likes of cureton and thorpe working hard as any slacking and  I'm sure Roberts, Fallon and even Caton would be breathing down their backs, all eager for a first team slot.
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 1, 2005, 07:03:58 »

But are we tight anough at the back? I'm going to say fuck no

Exactly right.We need a tighter defence than last season,otherwise we won't do anything.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
CARTMAN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 1, 2005, 10:20:23 »

vieri has just been released from inter if kingy fancies another striker   Soapy Tit Wank
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 1, 2005, 10:24:36 »

What brilliant transfer coops, and the history of the players on the official site makes for good reason.  It seems perfect to me.  An experienced 31-year old Thorpe with a good goalscoring record, and a quick, hopefully hungry 29-year old Cureton, who has managed to earn a 2-year deal which at Swindon this is nothing short of miraculous.  It also means we don't have the worries we had with Parkin straight away if he starts scoring, plus by the time his contract runs out he'll be 31 and getting on a bit!

Problem is, both of their careers have gone off the rails of late.  Will be interesting to see if King can reserrect their careers as no doubtedly he helped Tommy Mooney do (till Mooney decided to kill it dead again!).  4-3-3 might work, particularly with Roberts as one of the 3, perhaps dropping off them into the hole where he has said he likes playing.

One thing I'm worried about is Roberts on the right-wing as he's largely inaffective.  Fallon will have the competition now so I hope the bastard's up for it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 1, 2005, 10:28:17 »

STILL missing a hard man ball winning captain material central midfielder....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: