Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Bury: Match Day Thread  (Read 51342 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 18:27:51 »

"Which is why our side is as poor as any in our history...marginally better than 10/11, mind"

Surely better than the side Macari inherited Baddeley, Blackler, Batty, Baillie, Brian Hughes, Simon Gibson and of course Nigel Gray?

I would say not.

That side had could field as an attacking choice from Alan Mayes, Andy Rowland, Jimmy Quinn or Garry Nelson. Who collectively scored 618 FL career goals....pretty impressive for a Div 4 side.

Colin Baillie was a cultured full back, who we got money for which enabled the purchase of Colin Calderwood....he played over 300 FL games.

Dave Hockaday and Leigh Barnard were 2 more who gave good service as we went up the leagues...we tried to bring through young local players, around the experienced types not a bad stategy....Charlie Henry was in that side.

They showed what they could do by reaching the 4th round of the cup....winning at The Den, and beating a Carlisle side who at the time were flying in Div 2.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 19:25:19 »

You've just got to look at the replacements for the players we sold last summer.

Luongo - Robert
Gladwin - difficult to say, suppose ultimately Doughty
Byrne - fucking Barry ffs
Williams and Smith - Ajose

So, players we paid around £600,000 for are replaced by players who cost nothing.

Not wishing to get embroiled in the current spat, but my question would be

Why would Power spend good money when he initially took over when we were, according to Power, losing money hand over fist but now when we are financially on an even keel he doesn't seem keen to invest again in the same way

Resale value.  Clearly nobody with price tag was available for us in the summer who he thought he could make a future profit on.  he doesn't always get it right either, we paid for Barker and Smith - both will not provide any return.  Ajose was the closest to that this year because his wages were outside our structure (as mentioned in the press when we signed him).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 19:39:36 »

Byrne - fucking Barry ffs 

At the time we were told Jordan Stewart was the Byrne replacement and we paid 50K for him.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 19:41:40 »

If what you say is true, and tbf is sounds reasonable, then the kind of player(s) we really need - experienced - he will never sign. We will be forever in a cycle of signing youngsters in the hope the occasional 1 or 2 may turn him a profit.

No foundations will be set to build on as we will be in constant flux. Sounds like he is already smoothing the way for Ajose and Obika to be sold.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 19:46:56 »

If a Loungo appears, he'll go for it.  The worry is just how much of that was down to Sherwood and him being best friends.  Can he repeat that without that contact?  He's spent money on at least the following:

Byrne
Luongo
Smith
Barker
Obika
Stewart
Gladwin (small amount)

Probably a couple more, so he's shown he will do it.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 19:56:29 »

I suppose the real problem is that we need 6 or 7 new players. Will he finance that many?

Especially as some of those that need replacing will still be under contract.

I have it in my own mind what sort of player I would like to see.
Hoboken

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 20:03:37 »

At the time we were told Jordan Stewart was the Byrne replacement and we paid 50K for him.

Or Ojamma ?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 20:09:48 »

He's got to enter the pantheon of truly shite  Swindon players - Roy Greenwood, Shaun Close-esque
Flashheart

« Reply #188 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 20:27:12 »

I wonder if, considering the success of the likes of Gladwin and Kasim, they got a bit complacent in terms of the quality of player they could polish up.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 20:36:43 »

The way I see it this is how we need to strengthen:

WING BACKS --> Definite priority, playing 3-5-2 wing backs are your outlet and probably have to be your best players. Don't think Barry/Boo/Brophy are currently up to it.
Centre back - JSW and NT are good enough. Branco is shocking. One permanent and one on loan would probably be enough.
GK- probably looking at Vigouroux: would fit model, big sell on chance
CM - need 2/3 permanent and 1/2 loan players
ST - need another permanent striker if Obika and Ajose don't go, 2 if one of them go.

I make that around 5 permanent signings and 3/4 players on season long loans.
If you were able to pick up a couple of decent permanent players at end of contract then really wouldn't have to spend that much money recruiting.
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 21:14:16 »

Do not understand how Branco starts over JSW.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 21:29:13 »

Do not understand how Branco starts over JSW.

You mean Branco, the roaming centre back. Yesterday's performance from him was a disgrace
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 21:31:47 »

He was a weak link in the squad last season. The fact he has been a mainstay of the team this season, and captain st times, says enough about why we will finish in the bottom half.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 21:40:52 »

Then why is he contuinally picked?
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 21:49:44 »

The only possible thing I think he brings is physicality at set pieces.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: