Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wigan's support  (Read 1724 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:08:22 »

I know this was debated earlier in the season, but reports suggest that there is likely to be around 10,000 people at the JJB for tonight's League Cup semi against Arsenal. I am guessing that Arsenal will bring 2,000 (maybe more) so that means there will be only about 8,000 Wigan fans for their first ever semi final.  Oops

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/4598010.stm

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:12:20 »

Quote from: "Edinburgh_STFC"
I know this was debated earlier in the season, but reports suggest that there is likely to be around 10,000 people at the JJB for tonight's League Cup semi against Arsenal. I am guessing that Arsenal will bring 2,000 (maybe more) so that means there will be only about 8,000 Wigan fans for their first ever semi final.  Oops

Yeah just read that too on bbc sport. That is terrible. And only around 2,000 Arsenal fans? thats not very good niether, unless thats all they have been allocated with

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:13:29 »

Quote from: "PHIL!!!!"

Yeah just read that too on bbc sport. That is terrible. And only around 2,000 Arsenal fans? thats not very good niether, unless thats all they have been allocated with

I made that figure up! Do you think they'll bring more than that?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:13:49 »

I suppose it is a bit sad that Wigan doesn't seem to attract as many glory hunting wankers as other teams that do well.  But to be honest if we got to the semi's (whilst in League 1) and had a full house against Arsenal I'd spend most of the match wondering how many of our "fans" would be there for the next league match.
mattboyslim

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:15:26 »

Shambles!

But looking at loads of games over the weekend at the attendences were poor.  There was a time when a team drawing a prem team guaranteed a sell out, but Hull and Leicester had poor crowds in.  It also annoys me that clubs where thay allegedly have 10 year season ticket lists for don't sell out cup games.  Surely someone who can't get a season ticket would love to go to the odd cup game when there are tickets!  Seems that the league is the only thing that matters to lots of teamsm, even though they virtually all hav a better chance of winning the cup.

If wigan get through to the final I hope they only get 10,000 tickets for the final!
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:19:18 »

In that case I hope next time we get to a final we only get 7,000 tickets and that's being generous.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:19:56 »

Quote from: "janaage"
I suppose it is a bit sad that Wigan doesn't seem to attract as many glory hunting wankers as other teams that do well.  But to be honest if we got to the semi's (whilst in League 1) and had a full house against Arsenal I'd spend most of the match wondering how many of our "fans" would be there for the next league match.

Fair point, however I would like to think that if we ever got to a semi final, I would be making a huge effort to go to the game. Would that make me a glory hunting wanker? I guess it probably does! Sad

janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:25:52 »

Not at all Edinburgh, I'm talking about all these local Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc fans that turn up for the big occasion.  Ex-pats are excused from my line of fire.
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:29:53 »

Quote from: "PHIL!!!!"

I made that figure up! Do you think they'll bring more than that?

I would have thought Arsenal would bring a lot more than 2,000 fans, but it depends how many tickets Wigan have allocated for them at the end of the day though....

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 13:30:58 »

Quote from: "janaage"
Not at all Edinburgh, I'm talking about all these local Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc fans that turn up for the big occasion.  Ex-pats are excused from my line of fire.

I hate them too. A distant relation of mine as a kid, used to support Town from about '92 or so. When we started to move down the leagues, he lost interest and now 'supports' Liverpool! Stupid wee bastard!! 'fans' who 'change' their allegiance make me sick!

larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 15:47:52 »

I would have thought Arsenal would bring a lot more than 2,000 fans

I don't blame them! Personally i found the Wigan ground to be a freezing cold soul less bowl full of endlessly moving kids.It was crap day out and i never want to go back there again.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2006, 19:57:03 »

My boss at work who follows Arsenal home and away told me they had been allocated only 900 tickets, and she couldn't get one.

Not sure that's true though.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2006, 20:02:29 »

Quote from: "Bedford Red"
My boss at work who follows Arsenal home and away told me they had been allocated only 900 tickets, and she couldn't get one.

Not sure that's true though.

On the TV it looked like Arsenal had the whole of the stand behind one of the goals. It looked about a third or so full.

Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2006, 20:06:25 »

Thanks Edinburgh, obviously not true then as I would guess it holds a few thousand + it wasn't full.

Thing is, she could have gone if she wanted to anyway as there would have been loads of spare tickets all round the ground and she knew that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: