Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Atmosphere / Crowd on Saturday  (Read 7300 times)
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 17:10:05 »

Well Arkells holds 1200, so more than that and they have to open the bank. Speaking today to a Charlton fan he said that they seemed more interested in tickets for their game at Southend.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 17:17:06 »

God knows why, bar geography i suppose, colder and shitter than our ground by miles, oh and they might win that one!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 19:16:55 »

The buses are a great idea - something we could consider....
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 19:30:06 »

The buses are a great idea - something we could consider....

You're joking right? Charlton is one of the most weird grounds i've been to. You know you generally see away coaches scattered around the surrounding areas etc well all the buses and coaches at The Valley were "Charlton FC Kent Supporters" etc. WTF is all that about? For a club with a huge catchment area (I mean London is huge even if you have Millwall and West Ham down the road) that's just silly.

Why on earth would we need buses when Swindon has a population of 180,000 and the nearest football league club is 29 miles away?

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #34 on: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 19:36:18 »

The people of Kent are very loyal and Welling is in Kent and basically 2 miles from the Valley, Charlton is almost a Kent club rather than a London club.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 22:08:15 »

You're joking right? Charlton is one of the most weird grounds i've been to. You know you generally see away coaches scattered around the surrounding areas etc well all the buses and coaches at The Valley were "Charlton FC Kent Supporters" etc. WTF is all that about? For a club with a huge catchment area (I mean London is huge even if you have Millwall and West Ham down the road) that's just silly.

Why on earth would we need buses when Swindon has a population of 180,000 and the nearest football league club is 29 miles away?

It is/was a good idea.  They were bankrupt, lost their ground and spent years nomading, which was hardly condusive to retaining or building a fanbase.  They had a massive enough job on getting back to the Valley, to have the ideas to fill them damned thing and have to expand it was all credit to them.

They got oo carried away with their success in the end though, which is a shame because they were the club to aspire to be like for most of us for a while.  I suppose they now are a warning that even well run clubs can have their heads turned and chase a dream.
Spencer_White

« Reply #36 on: Friday, February 5, 2010, 18:26:29 »

It worked for Reading.

Know a few lads from Hungerford and they said there used to be busses for Town fans there and back, subsidised by the club. It meant they never really missed the lack of a train service. Think the bus from Stroud also used to be very popular. Plenty of fans who used to use those busses still come today.

Obviously our support in the actual Town of Swindon is fairly pitiful. But it has to be said that Swindon has become a fairly mobile population because of its rapid growth, whereas the Towns around Swindon the populations are more static.

Plus youve got the fact that comming in from small Towns like Chippenham, Melksham, Stroud, Bassett and Hungerford makes it much more of a day out, something different. I know Town fans who have actually moved into Swindon and then stopped going to the County Ground!
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, February 5, 2010, 18:29:11 »

There always used to be a coach from Devizes on match days when I was a little kid. Don't know if it was paid for by the users or the club.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, February 5, 2010, 19:26:00 »

Against Leeds...5 mins before kickoff Leeds fans were silent...so were the Town fans....the players inspired the Town fans,it was a great atmosphere because the players played with guts, passion and no little skill...at last weve got a team we can get behind...even as a loyal Town fan ive found it hard to get behind them in recent years...
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, February 5, 2010, 20:11:48 »

There always used to be a coach from Devizes on match days when I was a little kid. Don't know if it was paid for by the users or the club.

I remember that, Bodmans coach used to pick up from various places around Town. 
I also used to get a coach from Calne sometimes (can't remember if it was Rimes or Thomas').

No idea if it was subsidised, but was great for us as kids, 'cause it was a fairly cheap way of getting to games.
trogladite

« Reply #40 on: Friday, February 5, 2010, 20:24:55 »

Ashton keynes and Cricklade was serviced by Ellisons.  Privately run and used to park in coleburn street
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, February 5, 2010, 20:43:42 »

They've sold 900 apparently, would imagine there will be a few more pay on the day, cant see them opening the SB, which would be embarrassing the other way round.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, February 5, 2010, 21:02:48 »

Malmesbury and surrounding areas were serviced by Athelstan coaches.  Usually two buses, one from the villages and one from the town.
Panda Paws

« Reply #43 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 00:33:35 »

silver knight used to knock around gloucestershire i think
nochee

« Reply #44 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 06:07:01 »

silver knight used to knock around gloucestershire i think

Usually in the dogging spot on birdlip hill
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: