Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What happened to the FA's Respect campaign?  (Read 3165 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 13:41:33 »

I thought we all knew 'Respect' was a token gesture with the goal to make it 'look' like they were trying to make changes.

I agree. If they consistently 'rewarded' dissent with an automatic yellow card, 0 tolerance, and did that for an entire season it would stop. Except the season would probably last until 2013 by the time all the abandoned games got replayed.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 13:43:00 »

Totally agree that they need more support from the FA. The fact that players in the football league get an extra game added onto their ban for "taking more than 30 seconds to leave the playing area" is a joke in comparison to hissy-fit corner-flag-punching dissent.

And how Ronaldo stayed on the pitch last week I'll never know. James Lawton wrote a pretty good piece in the Independent today saying the boy needs to grow up and stop acting like a spoilt little shit. Or something like that...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/james-lawton-how-long-will-it-take-ferguson-to-turn-his-boy-wonder-into-a-football-man-1652635.html
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 14:31:13 »

It's never going to work until a half decent set of referee's exist............ we've experienced enough garbage ref's this season to realise refereeing standards are way below an acceptable level, how can the FA expect players, managers, fans etc respect people who are completely incompetant.  I think this season has been really bad for referee's with a number of unprecedented blunders such Attwell's phantom goal and the Man City v Chelsea ref lying in his match report about why he sent off Terry so the FA seem to have just given up.

totally agree.  If the standard of reffing was high I could totally understand the respect campagn.  But its not. its dire by and large.  Rob Styles is STILL a premier league ref FFS.

What the FA need to do is be seen to do something about refs who make big blunders consistantly. not move them down to league 1 for a fortnight then back to the premier league, sack them for incompetance.

I can totally understand why managers get so upset with bad decisions when the people who make them are not accountable in any way for their actions
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 16:52:02 »

And how Ronaldo stayed on the pitch last week I'll never know. James Lawton wrote a pretty good piece in the Independent today saying the boy needs to grow up and stop acting like a spoilt little shit. Or something like that...

I thought there was a strong argument that Ronaldo should have been shown red for the foul he got the yellow for. The way he went in warranted a red but I guess the ref let him off as he missed their player by a yard, which shouldn't have been a factor. No doubt the ref bottled it as well with it being Man Utd and Ronaldo. This is what happens when managers like Fergusson are allowed to lambast referee's the way they do, it gets inside the referee's heads and they think twice when it comes to dishing out the cards to their players.

As regards the standard of reffing, sure some make some bad decisions but there are some excellent refs as well who seldom make mistakes. But you can't solve every problem at once, I just think the refs being shown more respect and stamping out dissent is the place to start.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 17:01:05 »

logically jonny its not the place to start at all

If you remove the reason for the dissent which is often incorrect decisions the refs instantly get more respect.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 17:09:40 »

If you remove the reason for the dissent which is often incorrect decisions the refs instantly get more respect.

I think football would become pretty sterile if there weren't any incorrect or dubious decisions, what would we talk about? Besides the reason for dissent isn't incorrect decisions, its the players who are jumped up twats who absolutely no respect for the referee and think they can get away with whatever the fuck they want.

The ref got all the decisions right in the Fulham v Man Utd game, which blows your theory out of the water. Unless you're the only other person in the world (along with Sir Alex) who thinks Rooney was just throwing the ball back for the free kick to be taken again and that he slipped when he got to the corner flag and never meant to kick it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 17:14:29 »

They are trying, but you can't eradicate human error. There will always be things that will be down to interpretation, there will always be mistakes made.

Other than that I agree with jonny72, and addressing the line of acceptable behaviour is a separate issue from addressing the competence of refs.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 18:05:39 »

-There needs to be an overview of referee training and developement, with a progressive route into top class refereeing. The FA should be involved in supporting ,and investing in referees, from the moment they gain qualified status – at the moment nothing like this exists and it is very much left down to the individual to improve.

-Players should have more respect for referees and stop being such whiney cunts.
cib

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 18:19:49 »

-There needs to be an overview of referee training and developement, with a progressive route into top class refereeing. The FA should be involved in supporting ,and investing in referees, from the moment they gain qualified status – at the moment nothing like this exists and it is very much left down to the individual to improve.

-Players should have more respect for referees and stop being such whiney cunts.

Agree with that, players should respect the ref more. Can't help feeling that at the end of the day its fighting a losing battle. Top professionals are never going to bother setting a decent example due to their hefty wage packets and general disregard for anything else. Fines should be larger for suspensions and for bookings within a club too, especially for dissent. Another reason it isn't working has been highlighted in this thread, ref's aren't allowed to make mistakes and so are jumped on too quickly. Don't buy the argument saying that if they made as many mistakes in another profession they'd get sacked/suspened etc, because at the end of the day if they were respected in the first place you'd have a higher number of refs and ultimately of a better standard.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: