Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What happened to the FA's Respect campaign?  (Read 3164 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 00:53:49 »

I thought the main aim of the FA's Respect campaign was to increase the level of respect shown to referee's and to take action where dissent was shown? So what the fuck happened over the last few days with the Fulham v Man Utd game?

Rooney throws the ball in anger at the referee, anyone who says he was just throwing the ball back is talking shit (ie Alex Fergusson), and rightly gets a second yellow card. He goes ballistic with the referee, but the FA have decided that as he didn't swear its ok. Him kicking the corner flag doesn't matter as the ref didn't see it.

You then had at least 3 Man Utd players going off on one with the referee after Rooney was shown red, at minimum Ferdinand should have been booked for the way he reacted. Sounds like the FA have turned a blind eye to this as well.

I'm not Man Utd fan but I'd say the same things if it was another club. Though far too often it is a group of Man Utd players harassing the referee when they're not happy with a decision. There were also two or three other sending offs at the weekend which were questionable, one of them very dodgy but there was no similar reaction from those players or teams.

I'm just sick of the level of dissent that players show officials on the pitch and managers show them off it. When are the FA actually going to grow some balls and do something about it? Next time a manager calls a referee a cheat, fine the fucker (most likely this will be Steve Bruce) £100k and he'll think twice next time.

You don't get this shit in rugby. Why can't we just implement whatever rules they have to sort it out?
flammableBen

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 01:04:06 »

They should mic up the refs like they do in rugby. That would put a stop to it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 01:30:22 »

They should mic up the refs like they do in rugby. That would put a stop to it.
Didn't need a mic to tell what Rooney was saying. Ronaldo should be locked in a room with 5 or 6 refs with a prison showers "Don't ask, don't tell" rule
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 08:32:57 »

To be fair though Man U do get special treatment as they do have special players  - the FA will only act if it was one of the lesser clubs
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 11:03:42 »

It seemed to me the respect thing was made a mockery of pretty early on in the season with managers slagging off referees.
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 11:14:46 »

Respect campaign has never been implemented properly this season. The FA are too scared to punish any of the big clubs.

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Rich Pullen

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 11:16:26 »

I thought we all knew 'Respect' was a token gesture with the goal to make it 'look' like they were trying to make changes.

To be honest I enjoy watching petulant hissy fit Cheesy
flammableBen

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 11:18:14 »

I thought we all knew 'Respect' was a token gesture with the goal to make it 'look' like they were trying to make changes.

To be honest I enjoy watching petulant hissy fit Cheesy

So do I, and it would be much more sweet if there was a booking at the end of it.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 11:23:53 »

this is what's happened (painful):

I've bene instructed by the FA tp show that to the parents of the team I coach. As if...
Rich Pullen

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 11:32:56 »

"...but for just £1 a month we can help referees...."
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 11:39:55 »

They Ray Winstone thing nearly made me cry - Its upsets me when hes mean to the little boy and the ref
glos_robin

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 12:36:21 »

It's never going to work until a half decent set of referee's exist............ we've experienced enough garbage ref's this season to realise refereeing standards are way below an acceptable level, how can the FA expect players, managers, fans etc respect people who are completely incompetant.  I think this season has been really bad for referee's with a number of unprecedented blunders such Attwell's phantom goal and the Man City v Chelsea ref lying in his match report about why he sent off Terry so the FA seem to have just given up.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 13:07:03 »

On SSN this morning they were discussing the possibility of female refs and surprisingly a lot of men had written in to say that they couldnt do a worse job than the men and actually had high opinions of women refs!  Thats a whole new debate for sure!
Talk Talk

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 13:10:48 »

On SSN this morning they were discussing the possibility of female refs and surprisingly a lot of men had written in to say that they couldnt do a worse job than the men and actually had high opinions of women refs!  Thats a whole new debate for sure!

They would have to be the dominant matriarchal type though.

"If you don't listen, you won't be getting any dinner".
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 13:13:29 »

It's never going to work until a half decent set of referee's exist.

How much do referee's get paid now? With all the money in the Premier League I'm all in favour of them paying them giving them a massive pay rise to bring them more in line with the players and to bring in foreign referee's (who would be attracted by the pay) so we really do have the best in the world. No doubt other leagues would be pissed at us taking their referee's but if they're from with the EU there will be fuck all they can do about it without the EU getting on their case.

But you can't just blame the referee's. The lack of support they get from the FA is disgraceful, as is the way that players, managers and the media treat them. Mic them up so everyone knows why they made a decision and make them do interviews after the game to explain themselves. Everyone would feel better about referee's if they stood up after a game and publicly admitted they fucked up.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: