Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Simon Cox  (Read 30751 times)

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 14:21:28 »

i'd want all the money to be made available to wilson should cox go.why would that not happen?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 14:22:23 »

because the large majority of it would go towards paying off our losses at the end of the season.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #182 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 14:35:26 »

Cox Out
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 14:38:31 »

i'd want all the money to be made available to wilson should cox go.why would that not happen?

Because for once the club is actually being run as a proper business. If you're trading at a loss of circa. £3 million and suddenly get a windfall of £600k it would be very un-businesslike to not use that windfall to offset the losses and put it straight into cash.
dell boy

« Reply #184 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:03:20 »

Because for once the club is actually being run as a proper business. If you're trading at a loss of circa. £3 million and suddenly get a windfall of £600k it would be very un-businesslike to not use that windfall to offset the losses and put it straight into cash.

So with this new (hope) board we have a £3m debt instead of £25m debt and no money to spend.

If we do not spend and improve this squad we will eventually go down to Div 2, good chance this year, certs for next. Now where would that put the three-year plan.

We must spend to get us to the top of this Division for next season and hopefully Championship the next year.

Crowds will increase, revenue on sales all through the club will increase.

If money is not made available for DW then we have been promised a false dawn.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:13:23 »

The way I understand it is that (big) money will only be made available for exceptional players (e.g. the £250k for Cox), otherwise it's loans and freebies.
flammableBen

« Reply #186 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:20:56 »

Surely the wage budget is more of an issue. Transfer fees tend to be pretty low at this level, minus a few exceptions, but the wages eat in to the monthly budget pretty quickly if we can't offload some of the dead wood.

Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:42:25 »

So with this new (hope) board we have a £3m debt instead of £25m debt and no money to spend.

If we do not spend and improve this squad we will eventually go down to Div 2, good chance this year, certs for next. Now where would that put the three-year plan.

We must spend to get us to the top of this Division for next season and hopefully Championship the next year.

Crowds will increase, revenue on sales all through the club will increase.

If money is not made available for DW then we have been promised a false dawn.

All of that would be great Dell (and I understand your logic) if there were any guarantees at all that spending cash would lead to success on the pitch.  and there isnt.

We ended up with the balance sheet that we had pre Fitton by consistantly spending more than we had to either chase success or more realistically avoid total failure i.e. relegation.

I can totally understand why Fitton and co do not want to go down this route again, but I do have faith that they are realistic enough to see we need some new players right now.  They dont have to be expensive to be any good, we're near the bottom of league 1 so obviously they incoming players do not need to be stars to represent an improvment on what we already have.

The biggest issue is that we have struggled to offload our squad players. I dont think anyone would shed a tear if roughly half our squad left, but other clubs dont want them, on in some cases i guess the players would not want to drop down a level or take a pay cut.
dell boy

« Reply #188 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:46:30 »

On the upside CT, a lot of the deadwood are out of contract at the end of this season so can walk.

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:51:06 »

i accept that sam.but football isn't like other businesses is it.if the board want to break even, then i dont think that will happen. losing your best player and not putting the money back into replacements would piss the fans off, and weaken the side too.getting anywhere near to breaking even would mean us fans would have to put up with the quality of player that we currently have to endure watching.that means we need a manager who can get the very best out of his players.ground redevelopment would increase revenue but would have to be paid for first to be constructed.basicly what i am saying is clubs like ours need boards that will fill the holes in terms of shortfall,and maybe throw a bigger chunk of their millions into improving the squad.
these fellas are succesfull business men, so why on earth buy into stfc if you are not prepared to lose some of your money.clubs like ours wont make money for the board,they must have known this.football clubs generally lose money-not make a profit.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:54:12 by arriba » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:52:49 »

It's a 3m projected loss for this season, although I guess some of it will come from costs/debt passed on by the previous regime.

When is the Bill Power court case?

i accept that sam.but football isn't like other businesses is it.if the board want to break even, then i dont think that will happen. getting anywhere near to that would mean us fans would have to put up with the quality of player that we currently have to endure watching.that means we need a manager who can get the very best out of his players.ground redevelopment would increase revenue but would have to be paid for first to be constructed.basicly what i am saying is clubs like ours need boards that will fill the holes in terms of shortfall,and maybe throw a bigger chunk of their millions into improving the squad.
these fellas are succesfull business men, so why on earth buy into stfc if you are not prepared to lose some of your money.clubs like ours wont make money for the board,they must have known this.football clubs generally lose money-not make a profit.

I don't think Fitton et al are here to play sugar daddy and endlessly plug the shortfall. They are however trying to bring a deficit of £3M per season down to something manageable. It's not exciting but it has been achieved at clubs such as Walsall and Cheltenham.  And it is better than going bust.

Expectations rise in part from the board and in part from the silly "worth" values of the consortium. I don't know how much ££££ the have "spare" in real tangible liquid assets (money), but probably not as much as last year pre-credit crunch. They have to look after their business and themselves first and foremost.

I may be wrong of course.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:58:13 by Batch » Logged
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:53:40 »

I also think that some of what has happened in the prem has raised expectations of fans of lower league clubs like us who get new owners who are minted.

Just because Abramovich and The Dubai lot have thrown money at "their" clubs some of our fans feel as if Fitton and co have an obligation to do the same albeit on a smaller scale obviously.  They dont.  I know its tiresome, but spending £5m or so to save our club and small(ish)scale investemnt on players like cox and macnamee is good enough for me.

Just beacuse they are rich it does not give us a divine right to expect lavish new signings, when they are still subsidising the clubs losses. On planet reality we've spent more on transfer fees in the past year than we have for about the previous 5 put together. In wage budget terms it must be the biggest for a while given the size of the squad and the lack of loanees in it. So Allegations of doing things the "cheap way" dont wash with me.  

There are plenty of examples in recent years of clubs who have got out of league 1 without spending massive ammounts of cash.
dell boy

« Reply #192 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:54:27 »

It's a 3m projected loss for this season, although I guess some of it will come from costs/debt passed on by the previous regime.

When is the Bill Power court case?
A name from the past, I forgot we owe him money or is it the old board owe him, all got a bit confusing in the end.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:55:05 »

I expect the board also know that a promotion chasing season in League Two would bring in more money then a lower mid table League One season would.

I dunno, relegation would be hard to take. Last time we got relegated it almost seemed like it was us hitting rock bottom. Lowest we'd been in the football league in 20 odd years and the closest we'd come to going out of business.

I thought that season in L2 was rock bottom and it would never quite be that bad again. Going back there would be fucking awful
dell boy

« Reply #194 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 15:58:02 »

I expect the board also know that a promotion chasing season in League Two would bring in more money then a lower mid table League One season would.

I dunno, relegation would be hard to take. Last time we got relegated it almost seemed like it was us hitting rock bottom. Lowest we'd been in the football league in 20 odd years and the closest we'd come to going out of business.

I thought that season in L2 was rock bottom and it would never quite be that bad again. Going back there would be fucking awful

I think this board thought we would be challenging for promotion this season. Good end to last season looked positive, Simon Cox signed, 5,000 season tickets sold, good pre-season against qualities sides. All the signs were there, but it didn't happen and we are nearly rock bottom. Going down was not in there plans, and getting higher gates in Division Two I do not think so.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: