Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GL5Red versus Flashheart!  (Read 42593 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 11:40:35 »

I'm as big a Power fan as is probably possible for a Town fan and I couldn't agree more with the point Sam is making. There is more to running a League One club than business, and his media approach is divisive and unnecessary.
Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 11:51:17 »

In your opinion is there cause for concern with regards to the well being of the club? Should people be digging out their orange hats just in case, because with the way people are talking on here. That's what a few seem to want to do.
Not for as long as he is still in charge, I don't think there is. As and when (or if) he chooses to leave, I personally am concerned about what the state of play would be. That is all based on 'well-being' meaning ongoing functioning of a FL club.
Personally, I feel the 'well-being' of the club is already damaged by the way it has become a soulless, heartless shell with a disenchanted fanbase caused by a lack of transparency or consistent communication. But that is just my opinion.
In terms of it continuing to function as a business under the current owner, I don't think there's too much reason for concern.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 11:56:48 »

Are we Blackpool lite?
Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 11:57:28 »

The Oystons are on a different level.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 11:58:03 »

Are we Blackpool lite?

Go on illuminate us....

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 11:59:42 »

The Oystons are on a different level.
I want a fight between Power and Oyston

With Charlie Richardson as ref
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:08:01 »

My worry is the training ground, I see this as being Powers 'Kassam' moment. He's obviously going to tie the club into a contract with regards to use of the training ground, which the club will then pay him for the use. While he is still owner its all well and good, but when he leaves, will he be able to put the rent up as he wishes, with the club having no say?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:28:48 »

Are we Blackpool lite?

No chance of knowing for years.
The Oyston's did invest initially, a bit like Power, but it was the extra investment that came in that pushed them up - something they were probably not expecting.  They changed once his name got sullied, quite rightly, locally.  After that they began selling the club assets to themselves and then getting the club to buy them back - on top of paying themselves dividends from the PL profits.

Ultimately, all legal.

The same circumstances don't exist around our club in terms of assets on both sides.

Power's background is one of a hard nosed approach and he will ensure he is personally protected - he does however fancy himself as being some sort of new way in being a club chairman, as he did at Cambridge.  Therefore, for him to "succeed" and feed that ego, he needs the club to do likewise.  It's for that reason I'm less concerned about his motives.

He'll never make friends of the press, at least never in the long term, he just uses them.

His retort to Sam would be (in private) that while this "community" thing sounds great, it's not really necessary and then refer Sam to the attendances that still hold relatively firm considering the season we have had.  You won't win on that front, and it's not that much different at most other clubs these days.  The 90's changed all that.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:29:38 »

I'm as big a Power fan as is probably possible for a Town fan and I couldn't agree more with the point Sam is making. There is more to running a League One club than business, and his media approach is divisive and unnecessary.

If he could have been arsed, he could have made quite a convincing case for himself this season, based on losing the promising Liverpool first-choice players (viz where Kevin Stewart is now) and the damaging injuries to key personnel. This might have helped provide some balance which would in turn have helped to save some s/t sales for next year. But he couldn't, and he'll have sacrificed some income because of it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 16:08:58 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:57:30 »

Power's background is one of a hard nosed approach and he will ensure he is personally protected - he does however fancy himself as being some sort of new way in being a club chairman, as he did at Cambridge.  Therefore, for him to "succeed" and feed that ego, he needs the club to do likewise.  It's for that reason I'm less concerned about his motives.

He'll never make friends of the press, at least never in the long term, he just uses them.

His retort to Sam would be (in private) that while this "community" thing sounds great, it's not really necessary and then refer Sam to the attendances that still hold relatively firm considering the season we have had.  You won't win on that front, and it's not that much different at most other clubs these days.  The 90's changed all that.
Of course. That's him - a businessman. He'll run it while he makes money and when he can no longer do so he'll move on to something else. While he's here, the business will still function fine. I don't worry about the A word while he's in charge. I worry about legacy more than immediacy.

And then there's the rest of it - and yes, community is not necessary in football because of fans' remarkable loyalty.

It's not just the relationship with the media (again, driven on money as the Beeb are paying rights holders - it'll be interesting to see what happens if that contract goes out to tender); it's about relating with the community independently, working with fans' groups, just raising a smile. Compared to most clubs in the FL, Swindon are Scrooge-ish.

I know the owner is there to make his money via having a successful football team - that's how he'll exaggerate his profit margins, and if he has a successful football team a lot of fans will be happy. Admittedly, I'd be happier. But look at the engagement with its audience - even call it a customer base - and it's piss-poor. All brands need to concern themselves with their customer bases, whether it's bog roll, booze or football clubs. And this one doesn't, at the moment. It's sad.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:49:35 »

So, just where did Power make enough money to force him into tax exile?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 14:41:55 »

I've had bosses like Power....want yes men around them and dismiss anybody who questions what they do or doesn't fit in.

Power cannot sack reporters for not printing what he wants so banning them is the next best thing.

Clems Army!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 15:25:05 »

The fact that Power views the Trust as more of a threat than an ally should tell us which side we need to be on. Like the economics, be wary of the rest.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 15:28:52 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #118 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 15:46:54 »

The fact that Power views the Trust as more of a threat than an ally should tell us which side we need to be on. Like the economics, be wary of the rest.
These are the type of quotes that i find over the top. How does he find them more of a threat
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 16:04:36 »

I doubt he sees them much as a threat, more an insignificance to what he is doing, or a pain.

If his dislike of the Press (that don't do as he asks), his lack of community engagement and mistrust of the groups purporting to help the club are enough to make people want a change, the option exists to offer him exactly what would make him walk - a return on his remaining investment.  I reckon he'd sell.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: