Pages: 1 ... 1849 1850 1851 [1852] 1853 1854 1855 ... 3979   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9012478 times)
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #27765 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:20:12 »

However I'd hazard a guess that Michael may be unique, in not only being Old Harrovian, but public school of any sort.

We've had a few with university degrees......Dave Bamber, Iffy, and Stef Miglioranzi spring to mind. I'm sure there are others. "

Sam Ricketts was public schooled.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27766 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:21:54 »

Interesting, I thought he came over very well, well educated and fairly eloquent, certainly for a footballer.

Possibly looking back it could just be that he was a good contrast to the dull monotones of Hockaday and other footballers who interject every sentence with "you know what I mean" or such like, something that could not be levelled at Doughty.

Hockaday's nickname was Prof, as he was a bit more articulate than the usual player....

If you're Old Harrovian, you'll not survive long in football by flaunting it.... the intelligent response is to don the mantle of football speak for the football environment.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #27767 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:25:21 »

Sam Ricketts was public schooled.
As was Frank Lampard, Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Victor Moses and Will Hughes.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #27768 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:27:56 »

Midfield is looking decent now. Looked the strongest part of the team but Doughty is a definite starter.

Hear Lancashire is due to play 45-60 mins on Friday, but we sure need some CB's. The clear thing from the Portsmouth game was their CB's winning every ball against Adebayo and their forward winning every ball against our back line and that can't be the case if we are going to be successful.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27769 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:42:04 »

Midfield is looking decent now. Looked the strongest part of the team but Doughty is a definite starter.

Hear Lancashire is due to play 45-60 mins on Friday, but we sure need some CB's. The clear thing from the Portsmouth game was their CB's winning every ball against Adebayo and their forward winning every ball against our back line and that can't be the case if we are going to be successful.

Interesting.... if we can get Conroy and Lancashire back up to speed, then that will do.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #27770 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:43:51 »

Lancashire was assisting with warming the back line up on Saturday, didn't look to be carrying any injury so hopefully it is now just a case of getting fit.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #27771 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:45:01 »

We don't want Doughty, bloody scummer  Wink

I come from a land down-under
Peter Venkman

« Reply #27772 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:47:36 »

Lancashire was assisting with warming the back line up on Saturday, didn't look to be carrying any injury so hopefully it is now just a case of getting fit.
Lancashire is a wierd one, in some games he has looked a total liability and lost but in others hes been far and away our best defender.

He needs consistancy in his game and he could be like a new signing. His form seemed to pick up when PB came in then he got the injury.

We don't want Doughty, bloody scummer  Wink
#chalkiesmode

wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #27773 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:48:51 »

Interesting, I thought he came over very well, well educated and fairly eloquent, certainly for a footballer.

Possibly looking back it could just be that he was a good contrast to the dull monotones of Hockaday and other footballers who interject every sentence with "you know what I mean" or such like, something that could not be levelled at Doughty.

Nart amin! It's nart amin!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #27774 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:49:40 »

Nart amin! It's nart amin!
That season we did indeed have a few players that said something along those lines, thats very true!

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #27775 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:53:15 »

Regarding CB's. Lancashire and Conroy are decent, Robertson is a bit shit and Romanski a young lad who may lack the physique to play at this level for a while. I have always got the impression from Brown that he wants 2 typical, old school lower league CB's for his team and Lancashire and Conroy don't fit that description. Hence why he has always talked about getting 2 in even though he has 4 CB's on the books.

Defensive Midfield often helps with dealing with large forwards, something Lingazi was invaluable for. Perhaps Diagouraga will help with this. Get him sat in front of the big forward and make it very difficult.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #27776 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:54:09 »

With Lancs & Conroy just coming back from injury, can we rely on them until the transfer window opens in January ?

I'd say we still need 2 centre backs (maybe 1 on loan and 1 who will be fighting with Lancs & Conroy, and then we will also have the option of switching to 3 at the back as well.

I think we also need another striker then possibly our business is done, but with the transfer window closing in England 6 Aug it does not leave long to get sorted and integrated into the squad.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27777 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:54:33 »

As was Frank Lampard, Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Victor Moses and Will Hughes.
There will be more and more coming through as some of the bigger clubs now use private schooling as part of the "offer" to tempt young players in, sometimes with disastrous consequences (for the player, obviously, the consequences are always on the player, not the club):

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/liverpool-banned-signing-academy-players-fined-stoke
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #27778 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:55:51 »

That season we did indeed have a few players that said something along those lines, thats very true!
Also "yuhnoe" a la John Conteh :-)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #27779 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:57:28 »

With Lancs & Conroy just coming back from injury, can we rely on them until the transfer window opens in January ?

I'd say we still need 2 centre backs (maybe 1 on loan and 1 who will be fighting with Lancs & Conroy, and then we will also have the option of switching to 3 at the back as well.

I think we also need another striker then possibly our business is done, but with the transfer window closing in England 6 Aug it does not leave long to get sorted and integrated into the squad.
Transfer window closes for permanent signings 9 August.

For loans and free agents it’s open until 31 August
Pages: 1 ... 1849 1850 1851 [1852] 1853 1854 1855 ... 3979   Go Up
Print
Jump to: