Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 38,000  (Read 4000 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 01:52:24 »

Coventry may not have a football club next year though. You know that the brown liquid is about to hit the fan when your club start offering lifetime season tickets for just over a grand.

I know they're in shit street, but I hope they sort it out...I like Coventry, possibly unique in being a bijou English medieval place that got bombed to ruins by the Hun, and then town planners did the rest. And The Specials came from there, which will do for me.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 06:19:13 »

Sheffield Wednesday are a huge club and belong in the Premier League.

As for the 38,000 in League 1, Leeds had 38,234 against Rovers when they went up from League 1 in 09/10.

Man City were down in League 1 too. What was Maine Road's capacity ? About 35,000 if I remember right ?

I wouldn't mind betting that Wolves had massive crowds when down in the third tier too.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 07:26:03 »

I can remember Villa being in the third tier in 71-72 in the days of the great Andy Lochead' they won the league after dropping from the top and were getting regular crowds of 45000
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 09:17:13 »

Sheffield Wednesday are a huge club and belong in the Premier League.

As for the 38,000 in League 1, Leeds had 38,234 against Rovers when they went up from League 1 in 09/10.

Man City were down in League 1 too. What was Maine Road's capacity ? About 35,000 if I remember right ?

I wouldn't mind betting that Wolves had massive crowds when down in the third tier too.
I know what you mean but thankfully, it's all about the 11 players on the pitch and not how many you get through the turnstiles. It would be very boring if that was what determined league position.

And yes, Wolves did get massive crowds in div 3 (and 4 that matter). Similar to Wendies this season.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 09:20:29 »

Biggest ever crowd in national 3rd division was the Sheffield derby in 1979 mentioned earlier at 49,309

Villa's biggest in 1972 was 48,110 vs Bournemouth

Biggest since Premier League days was Leeds v Pikeys, 38,256 last game of 07-08 season.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 10:55:41 »

I know what you mean but thankfully, it's all about the 11 players on the pitch and not how many you get through the turnstiles. It would be very boring if that was what determined league position.

And yes, Wolves did get massive crowds in div 3 (and 4 that matter). Similar to Wendies this season.

Nothing to do with crowds, Wednesday are a huge club.
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 13:04:33 »

Having lived in Sheffield I loathe Wednesday with a passion. Their fans think they are a huge club & nothing wrong with that as they get great crowds but what used to hack me off was if any of the opposition players started to turn it on & show class or skill they'd be urging the Wednesday defenders to kick 'em into the air & even break legs!  Horrible, horrible fans.  I'm not surprised that Bostock didn't get many games on loan for them - they don't need a midfield.

I hated them so much that when Wednesday played Southend in a League Three relegation game back in the '70's I went with some mates to cheer on Southend, something I have never ever done against any other club.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: