Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Does a town the size of Swindon need 7 (seven) McDonald's?  (Read 8393 times)
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 13:20:00 »

Not disagreeing with your points but I'm sure a coffee house open say 9-6pm would have less of an impact on your life if you lived next door to it than a ruby house which kicks out at 11pm.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 13:26:07 »

I don't follow.  So some people might welcome a branch of Waitrose, and be less keen on a branch of Tesco.  That's their right, isn't it?  What is the mechanism by which local people can express a preference for the type (and style) of amenities going up in their vicinity if it isn't the planning system?

What you seem to be suggesting is that planners are impotent when it comes to distinguishing between Waitrose and Tesco, or a fancy French restaurant and a McDonald's...focusing only on the type of premises and leaving the branding etc. to the free market and supply & demand.  That all seems a bit Thatcherite/laissez faire to me.  If locals don't want a McDonald's on their doorstep, they should not be criticised for expressing that preference.  It's their right.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 13:26:28 »

While on the subject of plans and planners...can some sagacious person explain to me how building a car park, is going to regenerate the Town Centre?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10773283.Hi_tech_car_park_is_nearing_completion/
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 13:28:42 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 13:34:34 »

I don't follow.  So some people might welcome a branch of Waitrose, and be less keen on a branch of Tesco.  That's their right, isn't it?  What is the mechanism by which local people can express a preference for the type (and style) of amenities going up in their vicinity if it isn't the planning system?

What you seem to be suggesting is that planners are impotent when it comes to distinguishing between Waitrose and Tesco, or a fancy French restaurant and a McDonald's...focusing only on the type of premises and leaving the branding etc. to the free market and supply & demand.  That all seems a bit Thatcherite/laissez faire to me.  If locals don't want a McDonald's on their doorstep, they should not be criticised for expressing that preference.  It's their right.

Planning can control the use class, it cannot control the occupier thats the way the planning system is (and has been for over 60 years) the rest is left to the free market. Don't believe all the hype that Pickles et al spout about localism, if the neighbourhoods plan is not in accordance with nationally adopted policy (the NPPF) it has little to no weight.

If you owned a building would you want your choice of specific operatir to be controlled by the public?

Another example is the conversion of pubs to form convenience stores (Sainsbury Locals etc), as the change of use between pub and store is a permitted development the Council cannot stop it happening, then the stores apply its for for the adverts etc only the public cannot object to the change of use.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 13:39:00 »

If you owned a building would you want your choice of specific operatir to be controlled by the public?

I suppose that's the killer argument, isn't it.

I do agree that localism is nothing more than a politician's buzz word.  Means very little in reality.  The politicians like people to believe that local decisions are being taken locally but, in reality, corporate considerations are more important.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 14:29:46 »

While on the subject of plans and planners...can some sagacious person explain to me how building a car park, is going to regenerate the Town Centre?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10773283.Hi_tech_car_park_is_nearing_completion/

It's boosting the towns economy by creating more locations for dodgy drug deals. Duh.

Things get better but they never get good
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 16:50:51 »

I suppose that's the killer argument, isn't it.

I do agree that localism is nothing more than a politician's buzz word.  Means very little in reality.  The politicians like people to believe that local decisions are being taken locally but, in reality, corporate considerations are more important.

Yep, my experience of 'localism' in planning is as you describe.  People believe local decisions are being made, when in reality they aren't. Where i'd disagree is your bit about corporate considerations.  While this no doubt plays a part, the main problem IMO is that turkeys rarely vote for christmas.  I suppose housing is the most obvious example.  Very few people at local level want new housing on their doorstep and politicians are under pressure to resist it. Yet we need more housing and this issue is only examplified in more affluent areas.  The only way to solve the problem is for the Secretary of State or an independent Planning Inspector to decide where new housing is located because local people/cllrs refuse to do it themselves. Now that's localism at work 
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 22:30:34 »

Think the idea is to close some of the older car parks and build on them. But it sounds like they will only be building flats and offices.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: