Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ah well...  (Read 4151 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #15 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 16:26:26 »

Quote from: "arriba"
hopefully one day the club will come up with something that may have a chance of happening,or forget the whole sorry saga, i think we should make do with what we have and manage the club properly,which is the reason the club is in the state its in.bad decsions over the years have cost the club dearly.

But to undo those bad decisions you have to find ways to make money.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 16:36:21 »

yes, but i dont trust the board to do so.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 16:54:25 »

OK, but irrespective of that, the simple fact is that the model of "Let's try and make money on gate receipts alone" just doesn't work at this level - you're trying to fund a business with a turnover of several million (a large portion of which goes on wages) on only being open 25-30 days a year. Just doesn't work. The point of the ground redevelopment is to get the stuff like conferencing/hotel facilities etc so that the club can have a stable non-football dependent revenue stream which at least gives it a chance of being financially stable, without being solely dependent on the efforts of 16 middling players every fortnight or so. That need for stablility and hence need for non-football revenue and hence the need for  ground redevelopment will remain the case irrespective of which board is in charge. You might not trust the current board to spend the proceeds wisely, but don't scupper the chances of this or any future board being able to actually offer the club a stable secure future by abandoning the CG redevelopment all together. Football has moved into a new era - the days of surviving on 30-odd home games a year and a medium-weight sugar daddy are gone. As is any club that continues to depend on that model. (Hint: out of 92 league clubs, there's about 8 that haven't redeveloped/moved recently or are trying to)

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 17:22:36 »

how is saying i dont trust the board going to scupper any future development? i have seen little evidence that they are doing a good job in planning a new stadium and all that go's with it.
i know the club want to generate money by using the redeveloped stadium for other events but,all plans so far for redevlopment have been poorly thought out.
i hope to be pleasantly surprised in the future.
i agree that football is changing but,other clubs smaller than us are ok so why cant we be?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 17:41:42 »

Its been obvious for a long time that this latest proposal is anon starter...so this just officially puts it to bed.

Don't think the development in the footprint is a starter either....the club could have done it already but have no money.

Which leaves us with the mythical plan B....its going to be interesting to see if the Board will put this into play now or I believe more likely cut and run.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 18:45:56 »

Reg, indications are that locals and councillors would allow development around the ground, just not a housing estate on the green space.  There is still 7.5 acres to play with and other examples have shown up to £16m at least could be raised by developing bricks and mortar only 10 metres or so back around the ground (appartments, hotels, conferencing etc will still have sufficient sq footage on a 4-5 floor development).

Bristol Rovers have submitted plans for the Memorial Ground, which has a much smaller plot than we'd still have available, which could be expanded at the CG.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 19:13:20 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
Reg, indications are that locals and councillors would allow development around the ground, just not a housing estate on the green space.  There is still 7.5 acres to play with and other examples have shown up to £16m at least could be raised by developing bricks and mortar only 10 metres or so back around the ground (appartments, hotels, conferencing etc will still have sufficient sq footage on a 4-5 floor development).

Bristol Rovers have submitted plans for the Memorial Ground, which has a much smaller plot than we'd still have available, which could be expanded at the CG.

If, the club had some money then they could probably get something past SBC...as ever though...it relies on SBC to show some initiative...so it wont happen.

In my view its that simple...if the Plan B is viable then the the Board are duty bound to pursue it....as things are currently panning out we'll be in a battle for L2 status this time next season....with no prospect of an improvement in fortunes.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 19:52:56 »

Thats nothing we didnt know months ago.....
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 20:33:55 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "RobertT"

If, the club had some money then they could probably get something past SBC...as ever though...it relies on SBC to show some initiative...so it wont happen.

In my view its that simple...if the Plan B is viable then the the Board are duty bound to pursue it....as things are currently panning out we'll be in a battle for L2 status this time next season....with no prospect of an improvement in fortunes.

Left to their own devices I agree.  However, if they are given a bit of guidance and persuasion based on benefits to the Council I think something can be done - and I don't mean leaving it just to the club and Council to sort that out.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 20:42:33 »

Good luck with it Rob......
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, March 24, 2006, 22:49:35 »

I agree. You're going to need it.

The council seem to have done little to make life easy for the club and if the two could just work together maybe we would get somewhere. At the moment that just isn't the case and we can only hope that a good idea will come along from SOMEWHERE!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: